• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don't know much about this coin I found. While post pics. Amy advice appreciated.
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hello and welcome to the forum. The coin you have posted is an ancient hammered Roman silver Denarius coin. The coin is from the reign of Antoninus Pius Titus Aelius Hadrianus Antoninus Pius (born 19 September AD 86 – 7 March 161) was Roman emperor from AD 138 to 161. There are several different coins with this emperor on the obverse. For full identification and authentication (it does appear genuine) it must be done in hand and graded by an ancient Roman coin expert. The coin may also benefit from conservation. NGC offers both these services. Cheers!

On 7/3/2024 at 7:33 AM, Just Bob said:

If you decide to send it in, please come back and post the results to this thread.

I sent it off to a contact at an ancient coin company and he responded that it is indeed real and they want to have their expert take a look. Will keep you posted. 

On 7/3/2024 at 7:36 AM, Blackmon0803 said:

I sent it off to a contact at an ancient coin company and he responded that it is indeed real and they want to have their expert take a look. Will keep you posted. 

He said it is I deed authentic but due to the sheer volume that was preserved of that coin the value currently is around $25 . There is a Gold Denaris of that time frame that would have changed everything. It would have been valued through the roof. It is pure silver.