• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Nickel with rough edge?

8 posts in this topic

Hey All, we were going through our older coins and noticed this one. Tried searching Google and didn’t see anything similar. Maybe I don’t know the terminology well enough? Found this group and thought it would be worth posting to gain some knowledge.

Thank you,

Cory

IMG_0774.jpeg

IMG_0767.jpeg

IMG_0772.jpeg

IMG_0773.jpeg

Hello and welcome to the forum!

If I am not mistaken, this nickel was removed from a jewelry mount. The "scalloped" edge is because the nickel gets forced into the mount which keeps the coin from falling out, but also permanently distorts the metal of the edge.

If I am incorrect, the others here will correct me quickly.

On 6/30/2024 at 3:50 PM, Just Bob said:

"Partial collar" error, perhaps?

There is no reeding on a nickel so even a partial collar should still be smooth, so that is why I think it was pressed into a mount of some type.

Welcome to the forum, I do not believe that anyone here can definitively say how your coin was damaged but that it is damaged and not an error is definitely true.   It does look like damage from some type of holder or bezel, jewelry, keychain, lucky charm, (shrug) now that the coin is out of whatever it was in you may never know.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

I agree that the scalloped edge on the protruding part of the edge of this very common 1964-D nickel suggests that this was part of some type of mount rather than a "partial collar" error. See https://www.error-ref.com/partial-collar/ for actual examples of coins struck with the collar out of position.  The obverse die does appear to have been misaligned (slightly tilted), resulting in the doubled rim on the left side of the obverse. A coin struck from a misaligned die is usually considered to be a quality control issue rather than a mint error and of little if any collector value.

Searching Google is a very poor method of looking for information about coins, as the internet contains a great deal of misinformation. The following topics describe legitimate print and online resources: