• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 D SD LD
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I have been going through my fathers unorganized coin collection. I have some 1982 D 1c  that weigh 3.11g 

Ive seen all the post on how to tell the dates from large to small. If anyone want to take the time to look at a few pics I’d appreciate it. I know I need to send them in to be graded! 

F76CD04D-DC00-4C64-B835-74F47E4E14A8.jpeg

E194C4F7-7AE4-40D6-8D66-418E8261E818.jpeg

Please see the following "infographic" for telling the difference between "large" and "small" date 1982 and 1982-D cents:

1982 Lincoln Cent Infographic.jpg

On 6/29/2024 at 1:30 PM, Kcmed said:

I know I need to send them in to be graded! 

Only two 1982-D "small date copper" cents are known to exist, and it is extremely unlikely that you will find another. Circulated 1982-D large date cents like yours (95% copper alloy or copper plated zinc) are only worth their face value of one cent; the copper alloy ones might be worth saving for the copper.  Why on earth would you want to spend $19 each in NGC Modern tier grading fees alone (plus processing and shipping) to submit them to a grading service? Before you even think about doing so, it is imperative that you understand how to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself. Please see the following forum topics for print and online resources from which you may begin to obtain such knowledge:

Edited by Sandon

On 6/29/2024 at 12:30 PM, Kcmed said:

I know I need to send them in to be graded!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You have posted closeups of three large date 1982 D Lincoln Memorial cents of which there were over 1 billion minted. First off, by the posting rules of this forum, we ask for clear, cropped photos of both sides of each coin in its own separate thread as well as any closeups.

Your given weight of 3.11g is the target weight for 1982 D Lincoln Memorial cents made of bronze so there is no weight anomaly here.

Also from what I can tell from your closeups is that each of these cents was circulated and are of RB or BN in color. These would be face value. Why do you know you NEED to send them to be graded? Three face value cents once your membership, shipping, handling, grading and return shipping costs are all figured in, for well over $200, you need to put $0.03 into plastic that exceeds $200? I think instead you need to take that money, and begin by investing in two books. One, the Red Book of United States Coins, 2025. The second book being ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins, 7th Edition. Read these books and learn from them and it will tell you why you should not send these in to be graded.