• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strike Through Error?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2024 at 8:14 AM, Walter Holmes said:

I picked up this 1887-CC Morgan $ graded MS 64. The reverse seems to have a strike through error. Can anyone confirm, error coins aren’t my area. Thanks. 

The Carson City mint didn't strike dollars in 1887, if your coin is dated 1887 it is a counterfeit, which I doubt NGC would have missed. 

I only see damage from a scratch or bag hit.

On 6/29/2024 at 3:32 PM, RWB said:

Very generous "grade." Consider the coin not the label.

This is a refrain (coin, not label) often heard on this Forum. (One member boasts he will never become a slave to any label.) (Another says, Buy the book before the coin.)  Yet others are partial to the guiding philosophy of an upstart: :gossip: CACG. Needless to say, if a seller is partial to a particular label, there must be a reason. THE ONLY MEMBER THAT HAS CONSISTENTLY PUSHED FOR SOME SEMBLANCE OF STANDARDS IS DISMISSED WITH EXPLETIVES AND RUN OUT OF TOWN ON A RAIL!  And, all the controversy seems to be centered on 12 of the 70 grades on a scale. Mah-ve-lous!