• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to mail in submissions to ngc.
2 2

18 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2024 at 10:24 AM, JGGLAD said:

Registered mail has just become to slow and unreliable, does anyone have another way that still insures the coins. Thanks

Slow yes but unreliable no. Registered mail works best for me.

FedEx two day saver with private insurance is the fastest, reasonable priced service with minimal risk.  The less time your package is in the hands of the shipper the better your odds of it not being lost or damaged. 

I  know there have been some crazy stories about issues at FedEx, some may be true but I've never had a package lost or contents removed while using FedEx.

The only package I've ever had get lost (luckily only temporarily) was using registered mail.

Edited by Coinbuf

Which entity's address should you USE to submit coins. NGC or Colletors Universe or something else?  My submission has been pulled by the post office for useing NGC I'm guessing. The form just says mail to: P.O. Box 4776, Sarasota FL 34230 without any specific addressee. Now the U.S.Post Office wants 18 cents additional for re-delivery but says it wont take any of my cards. This type of thing seems to happen all the time when dealing with coin grading services. How many people with high grade coins just stop so what good is the service if the best coins aren't getting to the grader?

I used a priority mail flat fee envelope and the clerk prepared a second bar coded  address from the address I put on the priority mail envelope.

I hadn't submitted anything for a number of years to either of the grading services because it's always a high anxiety proposition which isn' compatible with what I consider to be a hobby.

We appear to be talking chump change here.  NGC receives submissions worth many millions of dollars, continually. If there were truly a problem, we would hear about it from the elite of the elitist collectors out there: the Great Blue Whales.  The instructions are right there on the submission form. I suggest we don't "fix it, if it ain't broke." A few glitches here and there on a vast international assembly line are to be expected.  How long has NGC been around?  I believe they are on the razor's edge of achieving perfection in developing and implementing a business model with a proven, reliable track record of reliability and success. Incidentally, let's not forget the words of JA, one of the founding fathers who shared an observation few had ever known, and many are unacquainted with, and that is: IN THE BEGINNING, "TURN-AROUND" TIMES WERE AS LONG AS NINE MONTHS!!!

On 6/28/2024 at 11:24 AM, JGGLAD said:

Registered mail has just become to slow and unreliable, does anyone have another way that still insures the coins. Thanks

It depends on the amount and value that you are shipping. The safest is registered mail, but it is slow for a reason.

Edited by Zebo

Somehow the scammer reportedly from the post office who indicated the wrong address and wrong tracking number on my submission was aware I made the submission and since the submission has not been confirmed delivered and I didn't tell anyone I was making the submission but used the pre-submission form on the website the logical conclusion is obvious.

@Poindexterx :

🐓:  I am not big on conspiratorialisms. And nothing is "obvious" to me.  If what you allege to be fact is true, this is a Federal matter that should be brought to the attention of postal inspectors. They solved the legendary 1920's case of the last Great Train Robbery by the DeAautremont brothers which took them years to solve (A Reward of $15,900 in Gold was offered) and led them to three continents, with some saying the techniques used helped usher in the age of Forensic Science. My confidence in them is complete.

Q.A.: I am going to calendar this for review on July 5th. All in favor, say Aye!

My favorite: Wait and take them in at a major coin show. I will do ANYTHING to avoid having to ship or mail ANYTHING, AND mostly avoid having anything shipped to me.

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/29/2024 at 7:04 AM, Poindexterx said:

I used a priority mail flat fee envelope and the clerk prepared a second bar coded  address from the address I put on the priority mail envelope.

This is why you are having a possible/probable issue. This envelope you selected is not registered/insured mail delivery.

The reason registered/insured moves so slow is because it only moves under lock and key and each next movement has to be signed off on. I ONLY ship to NGC domestic registered/insured in a plain cardboard box sized big enough so all of the USPS labels fit on it, typically in a 9x9x9 box. The other part about using a box of this size is that it is not likely to get "lost". Also, I abide by the USPS regulations and seal all of the seams, edges, and corners on all sides of the box with paper tape, and I will not leave the counter until I have watched the postal employee put the red stamps all over the paper tape. The reason for this is once this process is complete, it would stick out like a sore thumb if the package were to be tampered with. I have never had an issue sending my coins to NGC in this manner and nothing I send to them is "cheap".

For 40 years I was lucky to have a post office just down the street from me. They closed the office because of the age of the building and the lack of parking. Over the years I learned a great deal about the security they used for registered mail.

Each morning a different clerk was handed what was called the Red Key. The key would open the day lock on a large safe used to hold all registered mail. The clerk would have to inventory and sign for everything in the safe. 

When I brought in a registered mail package I already had the forms filled out that showed the insurance value. The clerk and I did not have to talk about the value for others to hear. The clerk would check the package to be sure it was sealed properly, stamp all the seams on the tape and apply the proper labels. Once I paid, the clerk with the red key was called over. He would sign for the package and take it straight to the safe. My package did not stay at the counter for more than a minute or two.

I had a fun thing happen once. I had notice in my mail box that I had a package at the post office. When I went to the post office the clerk with the red key had went to lunch and I had to come back later in the day. This did not bother me at all. I felt good about the security and knowing that only one person had access to my package.  

This year I have sent many registered packages across the US. Delivery has averaged about 4 to 5 days.  

On 6/30/2024 at 8:55 AM, ldhair said:

When I brought in a registered mail package I already had the forms filled out that showed the insurance value.

This is also important to note. You can go to the post office at any time and ask the clerk for the blank forms needed and they will give them to you. Request a stack. I still have part of the stack I was given by the nice clerk at my post office. Because doing the registered/insured takes a little bit of time at the counter, I have all my forms filled out, and my package ready for the clerk so I am not holding up the line too long. Since I have the declared value already written on the forms, there is never a mention of the value of the package at the counter. That insurance value is attached to the tracking number, but those handling the package don't have access to that information.

The other thing about registered/insured, the postal employees know that all of those packages have some kind of value, but with the way the system is set up, if any employee were to steal or tamper with any of the packages, due to the signing off process at each next move, it would be too easy for the postmaster or postal inspector to immediately know who did it. If the package was fine at point A and B and arrives at point D with the seam cut open, only two people were in contact with it between leaving point B and arriving at point D.

The point of all this discourse is that while the regular mail has less oversight, registered/insured has nothing but oversight.