• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this fake?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

It would be helpful to see the reverse of the coin. From what I can see, the coin is likely genuine, and it does appear to be a proof, of which 3,950,762 were sold in sets. A proof 1964 quarter in usually encountered grades would have a retail value of $10 or so.

If you need basic information like this regarding U.S. coins, you should obtain basic print and online resources, such as those described in the following topic:

"It came out of a proof set. Is it real."

I don't want to come to any hasty conclusions, but if a proof set was cannibalized, and this coin came from it, it is real.

If subsequent forensic examination finds this not to be the case -- the coin is genuine, but it is not a proof, its numismatic value would range from $5.75 to $8.25 in circulated condition. (Silver melt value is $5.35.) In UNC condition, I see Littleton Coin Co., has a "sale" price of $34. in a current listing, to as high as $6700. in pristine condition, the latter according to NGC

On 6/28/2024 at 6:33 AM, CherryO said:

I’m wondering about the toning on it.

Depending on where/how a uc/proof set was stored, the coins can tone in a variety of ways.  Some can be quite eye-catching.  Did you get the quarter individually or did  you crack open the proof set?

Whether "toning"--when I started collecting it was all called "tarnish"--is "original" or "artificial" and whether it should add value to a coin are controversial topics. Personally, I don't care for the toning on this coin, which probably developed "naturally" and don't think it should affect its value either way. See the following topic:

On 6/28/2024 at 4:33 AM, CherryO said:

I’m wondering about the toning on it. Ty here’s the reverse. Thank you for the information on collecting. 

Coins, be they individual coins or coin sets like your proof set, are often subjected to improper storage which can greatly affect the level of and the look of any toning a coin might aquire.   From your photos I have doubts about the toning on your quarter being legit, it looks like it may have been subjected to localized high heat and it is a coin that I would pass on unless bought at melt value if buying sight unseen.

In your OP you said you removed it from a proof set, was that from a mint sealed proof set or was this in an aftermarket holder?  What did the other silver coins in the set look like, do they also have similar toning?