• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Washington Quarter DDO?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

What you are seeing on this heavily circulated 1965 Washington quarter is likely a scrape that flattened the tops of the "O", "D", and "W", possibly compounded by strike doubling (a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling), a form of "worthless" doubling. It is definitely not a coin struck from a doubled die. Please read the following articles on this subject:

Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com)

https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html and links therein,

Most experts agree that if you can't discern a die variety with 5x to 7x magnification--I myself sometimes use 10x--it wouldn't be of significant interest to collectors.

30X is too much mag in my opinion for checking out coins. Too high of mag will take you down the rabbit hole of seeing things that too insignificant. 5X-10X is sufficient for checking coins.

As for your DDO question, there is a DDO variety listed for the 1965 Washington Quarter year with two more minor sub varieties. The original variety attributed by Fivaz-Stanton under the old number of FS-026 exhibited clear doubling across ALL lettering AND the date on the obverse. The two sub varieties accepted by CONECA were of either just the lettering of LIBERTY and the other being the just numerals of the date.

Your posted coin does not show the necessary attributes to assign it to any of these varieties. I think you are seeing some minor strike doubling possibly from a loose obverse die in the press, but not one of the assigned varieties for this year as would be evident clearly in LIBERTY and/or the date numerals.