• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this an error or damage
1 1

5 posts in this topic

It appears that the right portion of the upright of the "T" was flattened by a hit, which would be damage. It really would help, though, if you would post clear, cropped photos of each full side of a coin about which you have a question and not just closeups, as sometimes other portions of the coin's surface yield pertinent clues.

I will state once again as you are new, that you need to follow the posting guidelines in this forum and post clear, cropped photos of both sides of the coin in question (this means the full obverse and reverse) as well as any closeups of any areas in question.

I am going to cast my vote in that what I see from your closeups this cent took a hit on the right side of the T of LIBERTY which basically obliterated the right part of the cross of the T and also left behind a line in the surface of the coin. Keep in mind, die cracks pretty much start on the outer edges of the die (weakest point) and if left in service will progress to being more numerous before migrating inward.

If anyone has a coin with internal die cracks only, I would like to see that as I have never see a coin with a single center die crack or a crack that started in the center and migrated towards the rim.