• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper clad
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Cents since 1982 aren't clad. They are plated. The concept of a coin missing a clad layer applies only to 1965 and after dimes, quarters, etc., which are referred to as "clad" coins on which outer layers of copper nickel alloy are bonded to an inner core of pure copper. The cents are composed of nearly pure zinc that has been electroplated with a very thin layer of pure copper.

Your poorly lit images seem to be of a normal, circulated 1993-D cent with some light surface corrosion. If the copper were missing, the whole coin would be a light gray color.

From what books and other resources are you getting your information about coins?

Sorry for lighting and I will google when out and about which is what I did and clearly used wrong terminology. This is very dark cent and doesn’t appear if any plating was ever on this one. If worn that much where plating would be off it is in good shape for wearing that 100% off. 

IMG_5988.jpeg

IMG_5989.jpeg

With copper prices at their zenith lately, I don't know how much longer this newfangled imposter -- copper electroplated mascara -- will last before it is scrapped for good.

I second and third the motions on environmental toning. That is what I see that has happened to this cent. Remember that copper can be very reactive in certain environments. There are many of these copper plated zinc cents that turn brown over time depending on what environment they were exposed of. These more modern ones will turn more to a dark brown due to the nature of the plating versus the chocolate brown found on many of the Lincoln Wheat Cents, but even some of those turn black as I have a couple of them that turned so black they look like someone colored them with a Sharpie.

Once again, remember just because it looks different, doesn't automatically make it to be some kind of error.