• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1991 S Lincoln penny no mint mark?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Reading up on the 1991 s no mint mark it says that you can identify it because it will be very shiny witch this is can anybody tell me for sure if this is the 1991 s Lincoln penny with no mint mark

20240622_172803.png

Screenshot_20240622_174357_CoinSnap.jpg

I'm glad that you realized that it was a few thousand proof 1990, not 1991, cents that were erroneously struck from dies that lacked the "S" mintmark. To my knowledge, all of the 1990 "no S" proof cents have been found in mint sealed proof sets, not among circulating coins. No 1991 proof coins are known to exist without the "S" mintmark.

No, your 1991 cent is not a proof. It has normal, bright "cartwheel" luster for an uncirculated cent struck for circulation. A proof would have a mirrorlike surface in the fields that would contrast with heavily frosted devices and lettering, as on this 2000-S proof:

2000-Scentobv..thumb.jpg.dbf5ef379a2ecde257f0490c917faead.jpg

2000-Scentrev..thumb.jpg.9af907e68a1073cae459f9897cccc8be.jpg

You might want to go to the U.S. Mint's website (usmint.gov) and buy yourself a current year proof set to familiarize yourself with what modern proof coins look like.  You could also buy one or more of the quite inexpensive 1970s to early 2000s sets from a coin dealer.  Although every once in a while, proofs that were mistakenly spent turn up in change, such pieces would usually be impaired and of little value.

Edited by Sandon
eliminate redundant wording