• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 Quarter Strike-through
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Thank you in advance, I'm trying to ID the item 'stuck' in this bicentennial quarter. The point entering Washington's head has a word on it.

Screenshot_20240620_100052_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_100036_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_095855_Gallery.jpg

This is not a strike through, but rather post mint damage.  You can see where the metal has moved.  It looks as though someone attempted to cut the coin with snips.  I do not think there is a word in the indentation, but regardless... this is no error.  It is damage.  The moved metal is the proof.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

Just damage. It is impossible during the minting of a coin to have a word suddenly appear that    
was not on the striking die.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I agree with the others that someone took a pair of metal snips and tried twice to cut this coin and failed, or just did this in an attempt to deceive others into believing it is some kind of mint error when it most certainly is not. The pattern is the same on both sides when the coin is flipped. The deep V's are from the part nearest the fulcrum of the snips where there is the most pressure which pushed the metal into that V shape as it was unable to actually fully cut the coin.

What you are seeing as lettering in the scope photo is something we call pareidolia (seeing lettering or an image that is not actually there). It is just some damage that looks like lettering. I will tell you to put the scope down, especially on circulated coins as it is already taking you down the rabbit hole and making you see things that are not really there.

I am not sure why this was posted in the first place.

The coin is no longer worth twenty-five cents but may be elibigible for Federal Disaster Aid.

As far as the "writing" goes, this is the first time I have seen cuneiform rendered on anything other than a clay tablet.  🤣