• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 S Mint DD Lincoln Cent
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Did I find one? This drew my attention as the Lincoln Cent looked odd and upon looking it appears to have doubled date, and letters. Please tell me this is not mechanical doubling and I found an actual 1969 S DD. Odd looking finish or just maybe worn down. IMG_5943.thumb.jpeg.2c26f1a7e3d31440ac8ff80de140487b.jpeg

IMG_5945.jpeg

IMG_5942.jpeg

I fully trust what you’re saying and am not questioning response. It caught my eye and due to odd thickness I figured and hoped (I'm sure like many) that I found the one. So long story short what I am gathering is don’t pay attention to thickness of year, letters, etc, focus on the separation of doubling. Hope I interpreted it right. 

Also this Lincoln Cent found me I didn’t go looking so figured it had to be the one lmao.

IMG_5952.jpeg

IMG_5951.jpeg

And yes the Coin is worn for sure and so worn that my eyes saw double/ adrenaline dump followed and thanks for respectfully bringing me back down to earth.

There are several ways letters and numbers can look thicker, coin is worn, damage that flattens the devices, even Die Deterioration that can thicken letters. That is not to say that thick devices cannot be a DD, it is just that there is a difference.

What is deceiving to you seems to be the "thickness" of the lettering and numerals. As these cents begin to wear down and suffer circulation damage, the metal of the letters and numerals gets flattened out as well as worn down. The greater the wear, the "thicker" the lettering and numerals tends to become. This happens on all coins basically. Look at any graded G4 or AG 3 and look at the date of it and then look at one that is graded MS 65 and you will see the difference. This even happens with the rim of the coin as the wear approaches Poor 1 and the rim starts to blend in with any lettering or numerals near the rim.

Even with the level of wear on this cent, if it were a true DDO, it would be able to be ascertained if the condition was present. Sometimes when a coin suffers too much wear, it can become impossible to ascertain if a certain variety is present as the wear precludes proper verification due to this wear condition that causes the lettering and numerals to become wider.

All well and good.  I just hope the perpetrator of this shameful desecration was caught and made to pay for the restoration of those lovely marble steps. 🤣