• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sealed or Unsealed? Silver Pandas 83, 84, 85
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I recently inherited a small coin collection from an uncle in California; I’m in Arkansas. The collection fills about a half a shoebox and is mostly silver US coins—except for three Chinese Silver Panda Coins 1983, 1984, 1985. They are apparently sealed in PVC. Pics attached. I think the term used is OMP — each is sealed in a round capsule, which is in turn sealed in a plastic pouch. I’m new to this and have spent the past week doing research online trying to figure out how to get the most money for these, so I can divy it up among my siblings and surprise them with checks this Christmas. 

The local coin shop verified them on a silver scale, and I plan on going back to photograph the coins on the scale for potential buyers online. The coin shop guy also recommended sending them to NGC for grading if I wanted to auction them. But after doing more research online, I’m not so sure this would help the value. 

Don’t many collectors prefer the original packaging? I know it helps verify authenticity, but I also know an NGC grade helps too. So what should I do? Send off to get opened, cleaned by NCS, and graded by NGC, or try to sell as-is? Also, do these typically sell better when together as a lot or separately?

Unfortunately the 1983 has some haze that is almost certainly due to the PVC capsule; the other two look unblemished. The 1983 also has a small black “hair” in the package; however, I think this is actually from the sealant on one of the sides of the packaging, which you can see as fine dark lines running along the edges of the plastic cover.

Finally, what is the best place for selling something this valuable? eBay? Coin show? In person? I'm estimating I'd get over $1,000 for them all together, maybe, but eBay’s fees seem kind of high these days. I’m currently unemployed and not too busy, so I’d be happy to meet someone in the area halfway if everything seemed safe. 

Newbie here, so any advice is much appreciated :)

IMG_8812 2.jpg

IMG_8812.jpg

IMG_8810.jpg

IMG_8809.jpeg

Edited by cmob
Added image of backs

I would take the dealers advice and send them for grading. Not only would this verify their authenticity as there are many counterfeits out there but would give you a grade on which you could use as an asking price. It is hard for us to evaluate them as you only show one side ( always show both sides). Check sold prices on eBay for graded coins and you might be surprised at their value.

On 6/19/2024 at 4:18 PM, Greenstang said:

I would take the dealers advice and send them for grading. Not only would this verify their authenticity as there are many counterfeits out there but would give you a grade on which you could use as an asking price. It is hard for us to evaluate them as you only show one side ( always show both sides). Check sold prices on eBay for graded coins and you might be surprised at their value.

Thank you! Added image of backs.

On 6/19/2024 at 7:20 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Here I am scrolling along until this post caught my eye.

Welcome!  :hi:

Unacquainted with these coins, I read on, and subconsciously thought, "No, grading isn't warranted (assuming all along that that these were simply old 1 oz. silver rounds.)" I mean, what could they possibly be worth?

I believe in OGP, but I had not formed an opinion yet until Greenstang's post aroused my curiosity and [taking heed of the late Oldhoopster's sound  advice imploring hobbyists to "go look it up," ] did just that.

I was shocked, surprised and humbled by what I saw on eBay.  I am thinking a premium over silver spot... and instead see listings for coins selling for hundreds -- even thousands of dollars! 

If you know nothing about these coins, I urge you to take a look on eBay.  If any coins are worthy of authentification and certification, I believe these would definitely be worth the price, matters that are discussed routinely on this Forum.

I believe you should wait for a few more members to weigh in, and then decide on the best course of action. For a Newbie, you're intuitively wise, cautious and resourceful. Good traits to have in this hobby!    (thumbsu