• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ancient & World / Modern coins
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi 

I’m new to NGC and never submitted. Is it possible to submit ancient, world (Canadian) and modern Canadian at the same time or do these need to be individual submission packages. 

Thanks

adam 

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Ancients would be one submission form. World (Canadian) would be a different separate form for anything dated 1964 and before then under the Economy tier. And World (Canadian) modern struck 1965 to present would be a separate submission form. You potentially need three different submission forms depending on the dates of your Canadian coins. And depending on if you have any gold pieces, gold would have to be on its own submission form.

These coins can all be shipped to NGC at the same time in the same box, but each different type need to be submitted under separate submission forms.

Welcome to the paperwork process!

You can look at the tabs at the top of the NGC homepage and hover over the Submit tab, and then navigate to How to Submit in the dropdown menu.

Edited by powermad5000

Welcome to the NGC chat board. If you wanted an answer from the NGC staff, this topic should have been posted on the "Ask NGC/NCS" forum.

As this would be your first submission, please be sure to thoroughly review the various topics under the "Submit" tab at the top of the NGC home page, especially "How to Submit", "Coins We Grade & Policies, "Services & Fees", and "Submission Forms." You should also determine that the coins you intend to submit have sufficient value to be worth the combined grading and processing fees and shipping costs involved with third-party certification.

According to the submission form instructions, "[m]ultiple submissions can be mailed in the same box and can be shipped back together upon request." ngc-ncs-fillable-pdf-instructions.pdf (ngccoin.com). Coins in different grading tiers (such as pre-1965 Canadian and modern (1965 to date) Canadian) would have to be placed on separate submission forms with different invoice numbers. The submission of ancients requires the use of a different form entirely. You would have to be sure to identify each coin by the invoice and line number in the extra flip pocket as shown in the instructions.

On 6/18/2024 at 12:20 AM, Sandon said:

....You should also determine that the coins you intend to submit have sufficient value to be worth the combined grading and processing fees and shipping costs involved with third-party certification.....

Pay heed to this as it can never be over-emphasized enough!

It's a matter of opinion, but a coin should be worth at least several hundred dollars based upon your informed best estimate of its grade to make it financially worthwhile to submit. In my opinion, it's not really worthwhile unless the coin has a likely market value of at least $500. I have submitted some pieces of lesser value just to fill slots in registry sets where it would still be less expensive to submit it than buying a previously certified coin.

On 6/18/2024 at 11:05 AM, Sandon said:

It's a matter of opinion, but a coin should be worth at least several hundred dollars based upon your informed best estimate of its grade to make it financially worthwhile to submit. In my opinion, it's not really worthwhile unless the coin has a likely market value of at least $500. I have submitted some pieces of lesser value just to fill slots in registry sets where it would still be less expensive to submit it than buying a previously certified coin.

Thanks for the advice! Seems like a reasonable benchmark. I’ll make sure to keep it in mind. Thanks for the all the help on this forum. Cheers 

On 6/18/2024 at 12:52 PM, AdamK81CA said:

Has anyone created a formula to justify grading a coin? I.e it must be worth over X.

This question will have many different answers. I myself will submit anything in classic US coinage worth over $200 and especially $300. I will submit things of lesser value if they happen to be a scarce variety. I've submitted several tokens and a small amount of exonumia. Outside of that, I will submit moderns if I know they will grade exceptionally high (MS 67 and up). Each collector has their own thing they do with their coins. After all, it is their collection and they can store their coins in any manner in which they like. Just hopefully, they store them properly and keep them from getting damaged.