• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Ellis Island
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum, what makes you think this is a missing clad coin?   Looks to be simple environmental damage/staining to me.    If it was a true missing clad coin it would weigh much less than a normal coin, have you weighed it on a properly calibrated scale that reads to two decimal places?   If so what was the weight?

Welcome to the forum
If it was missing the clad, it would not be showing nickel on the rim of the reverse.   
I agree with Environmental Damage or staining. Even if it was missing the clad, it
would not be worth spending over $50.00 to have graded as it would not be worth
that much.

Edited by Greenstang

On 6/17/2024 at 2:05 PM, Heather Lewis said:

7.35 grams and thank you. I feel I'm going to learn a lot here. 

On 6/17/2024 at 1:56 PM, Coinbuf said:

Welcome to the forum, what makes you think this is a missing clad coin?   Looks to be simple environmental damage/staining to me.    If it was a true missing clad coin it would weigh much less than a normal coin, have you weighed it on a properly calibrated scale that reads to two decimal places?   If so what was the weight?

On 6/17/2024 at 1:56 PM, Coinbuf said:

7.35 grams 

On 6/17/2024 at 2:05 PM, Heather Lewis said:

7.35 grams and thank you. I feel I'm going to learn a lot here. 

That is significantly over weight, which suggests to me that the coin has some paint or other substance on it.   In any case it cannot be a missing clad coin.

image.thumb.png.c1856c177115f81576c32b5c246cddab.png

🐓:  What do you think it is?

Q.A.:  A circulated quarter.

🐓  :  How much is it worth?

Q.A.:  Twenty-five cents.

🐓  :  How do you know?

Q.A.:  It says so right there on the obverse:  QUARTER DOLLAR.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Aside from weighing your coin which I feel is not necessary, this quarter is not missing any of its clad layer on either side of the coin. What it does have is environmental damage and/or is stained.

What I see on the reverse of your coin is much of the silver clad layer intact with the exception of the center. On coins missing the clad layer, there is no such thing as part of the clad layer missing. It is either all there or all not. On the obverse of your quarter, I still see the silver of the clad layer intact partially on some of the lettering, and fully on the rim. Once again, you can't have part of the clad layer missing, but part not.

Those two things tell me your quarter has been environmentally compromised. Weighing is not necessary, nor is any further expenditure of resources to try to figure out its current status.

On 6/18/2024 at 12:03 AM, powermad5000 said:

What I see on the reverse of your coin is much of the silver clad layer intact....

On the obverse of your quarter, I still see the silver of the clad layer intact partially on some of the lettering, and fully on the rim. 

🐓  :  Shall I tell him, or will you?

Q.A.  I'm the rank amateur here. Nobody listens to me. You go ahead and give it a shot.

🐓  :  Pardon my impertinence, Powermad, but this coin is a Cupro-Nickel clad comprised of over 90% copper and 8.33% nickel.  No Silver.  

Editorial comment:  If they hadn't've removed silver from coins, I never would have stepped out of the hobby 50 years ago.  🤣

On 6/18/2024 at 8:06 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Pardon my impertinence, Powermad, but this coin is a Cupro-Nickel clad comprised of over 90% copper and 8.33% nickel.  No Silver.  

I meant the silver color of the clad layer. Otherwise the coin would have the color of copper. I am guessing others were able to glean that but for the record, I am well aware there is no silver in these. 1964 is all I should need to say.

Edited by powermad5000

On 6/18/2024 at 11:27 PM, powermad5000 said:

I meant the silver color of the clad layer. Otherwise the coin would have the color of copper. I am guessing others were able to glean that but for the record, I am well aware there is no silver in these. 1964 is all I should need to say.

I know that, powermad.  Just couldn't resist pulling your leg a little.  (BTW, the impertinent remark was uttered by Ricky 🐓.   Don't be hesitant to address him directly.)   :roflmao: