• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan Dollar Identification Help Needed
1 1

6 posts in this topic

My mom passed away and she left me a box of coins. I found this Morgan dollar and it has the CC marked on the back but is missing the ONE DOLLAR mark and says COPY. I was unable to find anything like it on eBay. Is this real? What is it worth? Thank you for any help.

MorganDollarfront.thumb.jpeg.474eb7f294fcb3df140618d9096a4e30.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bf3c121e9faba0ad891ddb4731a6f028.jpeg

On 6/15/2024 at 3:01 PM, mjosefowicz said:

My mom passed away and she left me a box of coins. I found this Morgan dollar and it has the CC marked on the back but is missing the ONE DOLLAR mark and says COPY. I was unable to find anything like it on eBay. Is this real? What is it worth? Thank you for any help.

MorganDollarfront.thumb.jpeg.474eb7f294fcb3df140618d9096a4e30.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bf3c121e9faba0ad891ddb4731a6f028.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum.

It is a replica, a fake, and has far more sentimental value than monetary. It's basically worthless unless it contains some actual silver, in which case it would be worth melt.

Condolences on your mother's passing. 

The Hobby Protection Act enacted by Congress in 1973 allowed for replicas of genuine items to be made ONLY if the word COPY was added somewhere on the item in a visible location.

For coins, replicas were allowed to be made with the word COPY added to either side, and anything less was considered unlawful and is an unfair or deceptive practice by this Act by Congress.

Be aware that items (of which there are millions of coins) made BEFORE this Act did not have to have this word on them by law and are still out in the marketplace. Also be aware that there are those who do not abide by the law since 1973 and are still making counterfeit items without the word COPY on them.

The law was a good thing but enforcement is far from perfect and very difficult to enforce considering the sheer volume of counterfeit goods coming from overseas.