• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1986 penny dime nickle quarter and half dollar
1 1

7 posts in this topic

On 6/14/2024 at 5:24 PM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the forum.

Don’t know, we will have to see a clear photo of both sides of the coins for evaluation.

Sorry, pictures did not load

On 6/14/2024 at 2:22 PM, Coiner2222 said:

Are these 6 coins worth grading all 1986 and how much would they sell

Only 5 coins, the copper token with the P on it is to show these were minted at the Phill mint.   And no these are not worth submitting for grading, they are worth face value a whopping $.91 cents in total.

Then again, no less an authority than the member who wears a King Tut headdress is adamant about moderns becoming HOT... someday. So who's to say?

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please note that the common name for a five-cent coin is spelled n-i-c-k-e-l, not n-i-c-k-l-e.

What you are showing is the plastic sheet containing the Philadelphia Mint coins from a 1986 U.S. Mint-issued uncirculated coin set, commonly referred to as a "mint set". The set should have also contained another sheet with red stripes, which contained the Denver mint coins (also cent through half dollar), with both sheets housed in a special envelope. The complete set (both sheets) containing coins of typical quality retails for $6 to $8 per this month's Coin World Coin Values, so, no it wouldn't be worthwhile for you to submit these coins to a third-party grading service (which is what I assume you mean by "grading"), which at NGC would cost $19 per coin in grading fees alone, plus substantial processing and shipping costs.

If you want to collect coins, every coin is "worth grading"--by you, once you have learned how to do so. If you are interested in learning how, please advise, and we can direct you to the appropriate resources.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

If you look a little closer at these Mint Sets, you will see that they were generally just uncirculated coins. That said, however, they were not hand selected to be the best specimens, and many in those Mint sets would grade MS 62 and down to MS 60. I would swear some of the dimes in some of the sets look AU to me.

You can and should look over what is sealed in the cello in your set, but don't expect to find anything that is say MS 67, and for these modern coins, that is the bottom base of grade where you should even think of submitting moderns. The cost of grading moderns is prohibitive to have the slab return with anything less than MS 67 (unless it is some special or significant variety).

I had 1981 P and D Mint sets for close to 40 years (I bought them when they were first issued) and once I upped my level of collecting in recent years, I pulled them out to take another look at them. I was shocked to see how low quality the coins in the cello were. I ended up selling both sets as a lot on eBay for a whopping $4 and pretty much only got that because each set had a Susan B Anthony dollar in it.

You will need to seek out much higher quality moderns before you should even consider submitting a single modern.