• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 penny
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I am a couple months into collecting coins and have minimal knowledge (trying to learn) on most of this but was looking for some answers on a coin I recently found being a 1965 penny. I have the photos below and weight is 3.09g but I cant seem to find much. I have looked into the term “dryer coin” but with seam appearance and lil to no damage wanted to know your thoughts. All is appreciated.

IMG_5845.jpeg

IMG_5846.jpeg

IMG_5843.jpeg

I figured its not worth much but more curious why the penny is more than double the normal thickness and dryer coin is all I can come up with.

Hello and welcome!

It looks to me like the start of a coin that has been spooned as stated by Coinbuf. Dryer coins typically lose thickness, not gain it. 

Danny Downer here.

You know, if you were to really magnify this edge, I'll bet you can increase its width twice as much and market it as an seldom seen, exceedingly rare piedfort, you know, an experimental planchet that is twice its normal depth.

Tip from an old-timer:  you don't find ERRORS; they find you.  

Happy hunting!

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die polishing.