• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I grade my silver nickels
1 1

6 posts in this topic

These well-circulated wartime "nickels" are worth less than $2 each, and that is mostly due to the current high price of silver. How could it be worthwhile to pay at least a $23 per coin (NGC) "Economy" tier grading fee, plus processing and shipping costs, to submit them to a third-party grading service?

On 6/13/2024 at 3:42 AM, Lj89 said:

Should I grade my silver nickels

Each coin is worth the silver value in the coin, which today is $1.67 each.   It would cost $35 each to have graded, so you would end up with 6 coins worth $10 that you spent $300 getting graded, does not sound like a profitable venture to me.

I think you should grade your nickels. By YOUR own grading standards. I think you should get several books, two of which should be the Red Book of United States coins 2025, and ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins, 7th Edition. I think you should get better at self grading before you begin to think about submitting coins to a third party grading service.

Although collectors have various reasons for submitting their coins for certification -- some for the sentimental reasons they evoke, for so-called "war-time" nickels, only those that appear to be in the Mint State grades (the higher, the better) are worthy of certification consideration. A coin's fair market value must exceed the total costs of submission to make certification cost-effective. 

In the alternative, you may wish to house them in a display album or simple 2"x 2" stapled cardboard flips. If spot silver continues its rise, your nickels will be worth thirty times its face value, and more primarily due to its 35% silver content.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Word substitution.