• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1984 Lincoln Cent Strike Through error?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Searched around but could not find a definitive match on this reverse error found on "United States of America".  Thanks in advance for your help.

20240612-174759-143.jpg

20240612-175132-747.jpg

20240612-182716-802.jpg

20240612-182722-616.jpg

20240612-182755-52.jpg

20240612-182801-336.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum. Without having this coin in my hands from the photos you provided I would diagnose this coin as being struck by a sunken die or deformed die. Sometimes a soft area of ill produced metal in the coin die itself begins to sink or deform inwards leaving a raised area on the coin. This is called a die subduction/ deformation strike, and it is relatively common. It's not a recognized or sought after error coin and is not a variety. It is technically a mint error but really, it's just a mint quality control issue. The coin has no extra value or desirability to experienced collectors beyond a novelty or specimen of the common type of error. My second opinion is that this is a large plating blister that developed immediately after striking. To determine for sure, I'd need it in hand. It's not worth much ... Cheers!

Edited by Mike Meenderink

I believe this topic was covered some time ago in a discussion when an OP called that effect a broadstrike.

This effect on your Lincoln Memorial cent is neither a strike through nor a broadstrike. If I am not mistaken, it is actually produced from a combination of an issue with the plating and worn dies. If you take a look at many of these copper plated zinc cents you will see the same effect to some degree, either more pronounced or less pronounced. It seems only the most well struck of these cents do not have that peripheral "ring" around the cent. I have also noted it is more prominent on the obverse than on the reverse.

I have also noted over time this seems to be found mostly on these cents from the early 80's through the late 90's.

This effect is actually quite common and I have seen very many of these over the years.

Edited by powermad5000
more information