• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1834 $5 with ding on rim
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Greetings

If those of you with expertise could please shed some light on this question, it would be appreciated.  
How would the rim ding on this coin impact its grading?  Would it be accorded the grading “Details”?

Thank you for your comments.

IMG_8323.jpeg

IMG_8324.jpeg

Edited by Coin Awed
Clarification

If it were a flawed planchet that's a different story. A rim ding would show displaced metal upon close inspection. I think it likely is a ding though its hard to tell from the image. The other tell tale sign to me is that if it is gradable it surely has been submitted by now and likely turned down or removed from it's holder.

Rim damage is a tough call, I've seen many worse that straight graded and many with slighter damage that were bagged or details graded.   If I were betting on the outcome I would say it will get a details grade, but I would not be surprised if it straight graded too.

This coin has never been graded…it was bought in the 1970’s and part of an inheritance.  Should I submit it for grading even if there’s a high risk it comes back “detailed”?

Here's the way the coin used to look…

image.thumb.jpeg.e60109803e7915bea7aacd852ca3d3eb.jpeg

And after edge tapping… 

image.thumb.jpeg.e9baac6ce032b48f42e9e11f631643db.jpeg

I could have over edge-tapped the coin to completely obscure the rim ding, but I didn't want to be disingenuous, and the front portrait looks so good, now.

image.thumb.jpeg.4e5ec77c19c88a06bf4e69c99b849d69.jpeg

On 6/10/2024 at 12:57 PM, Coin Awed said:

This coin has never been graded…it was bought in the 1970’s and part of an inheritance.  Should I submit it for grading even if there’s a high risk it comes back “detailed”?

I can only speak for myself, but when this question gets asked here, and it does get asked often; my reply is what do you want to do with the coin.    If your goal is to sell in the very near future, then yes having the coin graded could be beneficial.   However, if you are going to hold the coin then there is no real benefit to spending money on grading at this time.

Edited by Coinbuf

Thank you for your comment.  I plan to hold onto my coins as long as possible, until the time comes (if it comes) when I really need to sell.  So the grading might come at some point in the indeterminate future.  The grading process seems like it can be costly, risky (?), and a bit of a hassle.  I understand auction houses can take care of that for you if you consign coins to them, but they deduct that expense from sales profit as part of their fee.

On 6/11/2024 at 2:44 PM, Coin Awed said:

Thank you for your comment.  I plan to hold onto my coins as long as possible, until the time comes (if it comes) when I really need to sell.  So the grading might come at some point in the indeterminate future.  The grading process seems like it can be costly, risky (?), and a bit of a hassle.  I understand auction houses can take care of that for you if you consign coins to them, but they deduct that expense from sales profit as part of their fee.

There are some ways to mitigate some of the risks.   Loss during shipping is one of the biggest risks, so when you decide to have it and/or others graded try and see if there is a large coin show near you.   At many of the major shows either NGC or PCGS (or both) may offer on site grading, this is more costly than sending to the TPG but you will get the coin graded and back to you in just a couple of days and you have no risk of loss during shipping.

If that is not an option then shipping with private insurance is a very smart choice.   Nothing says steal me to a postal employee like a package with $10K worth of insurance on the label.   And always double box any coins of value or personal significance, the extra couple of dollars is money well spent.

On 6/11/2024 at 11:27 AM, Coin Awed said:

My ding seems to be a little bigger

You may want to keep that to yourself. We get a bunch of guys comparing the size of their dings, this could get ugly real quick. 

;)

On 6/11/2024 at 6:46 PM, Just Bob said:

You may want to keep that to yourself. We get a bunch of guys comparing the size of their dings, this could get ugly real quick. 

;)

I've got a large dong, but it's Vietnamese.  I guess it doesn't count.  🤣