• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2015 dime obverse double stamp?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Sorry for the less than stellar images.  Thought this looked odd.  It appears double stamped on the obverse, very weak though.  Thoughts?

IMG_1772.jpeg

IMG_1773.jpeg

IMG_1776.jpeg

IMG_1775.jpeg

Edited by Manchu11B
Needed to add clearer images.

Welcome to the Forum

Hard to tell from that photo but I think I see Die Deterioration from a worn die.  
Cropping your picture might give us a better look at what you have.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Coins are struck, not stamped. You would want to refer to this as double struck not double stamped. Also, while on this topic, a double struck coin would mean the coin was not ejected from the striking chamber and was struck by the dies a second time which would not even look remotely like the dime you have posted. I believe you are more referring to it being a doubled die which would look similar to the coin you posted, but...

Despite your photos being blurry (sometimes hard to get a clear closeup depending on your camera), what I see on your dime is a slightly shifted and step like secondary image. I think this falls more under mechanical/strike doubling than die erosion/deterioration doubling which looks slope like similar to a hill that you would sled down and also be a more "mushy" appearance. What I think happened to your coin is the obverse was struck with a die being loose in the press which jumps slightly during the strike producing a faux secondary image. This is not to be confused with a true doubled die made during a slight shift of the die during the hubbing process when dies are made from the master hubs which produces a distinct and clear secondary image across all of the lettering and devices on the coins subsequently struck from the doubled die. Also, being this is a 2015 dime, the Mint had gone to a single squeeze hubbing process in the late 1990's/early 2000's which virtually eliminated doubled die strikes as the dies were made from only a single press from the hub.

What you have posted is a common occurrence on modern issues and is seen as a quality control issue. Additionally, I was unable to find a single known DDO listing for a 2015 P Roosevelt dime on either Variety Vista or Wexlers.

On 6/9/2024 at 3:37 AM, powermad5000 said:

.... Additionally, I was unable to find a single known DDO listing for a 2015 P Roosevelt dime on either Variety Vista or Wexlers.

This defensive posture has been used many times by many different members, buy I fail to see why the fact DDO's haven't been detected to date on this dime (date/mm) automatically rules out new discoveries.  There's always a first time for everything but I am guessing the thinking here is a "diagnostic marker" or, whatever the correct term for this is, never occurs just once.  :sumo:

Your photos are too fuzzy and out of focus to tell much, but from what I can see this appears to be worthless die deterioration.

On 6/9/2024 at 12:45 PM, Henri Charriere said:

This defensive posture has been used many times by many different members, buy I fail to see why the fact DDO's haven't been detected to date on this dime (date/mm) automatically rules out new discoveries.  There's always a first time for everything but I am guessing the thinking here is a "diagnostic marker" or, whatever the correct term for this is, never occurs just once.  :sumo:

You may stomp your feet all you wish to. The fact that I mentioned that is because the condition on the OP's dime is not consistent with what we know on how DDO's come to be. In order to make sure I was not in err in responding to the OP, I checked those resources. Those resources are complied by people who get to look at thousands of times more specimens of specific dates and mintmarks than I will ever get to in my lifetime. Nobody is saying that a new variety cannot be discovered. What is being said is given the conditions able to be viewed and applying that to reason with how the condition is actually attributed as well as checking the most current available resources, a conclusion was drawn.

On 6/8/2024 at 7:43 PM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum

Hard to tell from that photo but I think I see Die Deterioration from a worn die.  
Cropping your picture might give us a better look at what you have.

Cropping doesn’t help at all in the case of that little resolution. It may make it worse.