• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Set Registry shenanigans (elsewhere)
1 1

10 posts in this topic

🐓:  There's a new #2 in gold roosters on the West coast?

Q.A.:   Really?  Who?

🐓 :  YOU!

Q.A.:  Me???  Nooo! How? Why? Give me that...  Is this thing on???

***  A few minutes later...

Q.A.:. Holy cow!  It's true, but -- wait a minute... you can leap frog over me, but that won't change my set rating, only my rank!  Hold on,... it says my set isn't complete -- that I need one more coin! Preposterous!

🐓  :  Better check your set...

Q.A.:THE 1909!  MY FAVORITE!  IT'S GONE!

🐓:  So what!  You got the cert #.  Add it back on to the itinerary.

Q.A.  IT SAYS IT'S ALREADY IN SOMEONE'S SET!

🐓  :  First things first. It's Saturday. Better drop them an e-mail and uh, one more thing:  Don't mention it on the Forum!  You know... the bigger they come the harder they fall.  You'll never be able to live this one down with your gaggle of Ignorers.

Q.A.:  Say, maybe that's why some members block the cert. numbers on their coins... Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

To the membership-at-large:

For non-Set Registry participants, no actual theft occurred. This is simply an inventory tool and virtual showcase. As no actual loss occurred, and it being mid-year, post Awards, it is not an urgent matter. It will be addressed. 

What I am really interested in finding out is whether this has ever happened to anyone here, or elsewhere, and if not, whether anyone would care to hazard a guess as to how this may have occurred? All opinions and conspiratorial theories are welcomed.

Posted at the discretion of Moderation.

On 6/8/2024 at 2:40 PM, Henri Charriere said:

🐓:  There's a new #2 in gold roosters on the West coast?

Q.A.:   Really?  Who?

🐓 :  YOU!

Q.A.:  Me???  Nooo! How? Why? Give me that...  Is this thing on???

***  A few minutes later...

Q.A.:. Holy cow!  It's true, but -- wait a minute... you can leap frog over me, but that won't change my set rating, only my rank!  Hold on,... it says my set isn't complete -- that I need one more coin! Preposterous!

🐓  :  Better check your set...

Q.A.:THE 1909!  MY FAVORITE!  IT'S GONE!

🐓:  So what!  You got the cert #.  Add it back on to the itinerary.

Q.A.  IT SAYS IT'S ALREADY IN SOMEONE'S SET!

🐓  :  First things first. It's Saturday. Better drop them an e-mail and uh, one more thing:  Don't mention it on the Forum!  You know... the bigger they come the harder they fall.  You'll never be able to live this one down with your gaggle of Ignorers.

Q.A.:  Say, maybe that's why some members block the cert. numbers on their coins... Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

To the membership-at-large:

For non-Set Registry participants, no actual theft occurred. This is simply an inventory tool and virtual showcase. As no actual loss occurred, and it being mid-year, post Awards, it is not an urgent matter. It will be addressed. 

What I am really interested in finding out is whether this has ever happened to anyone here, or elsewhere, and if not, whether anyone would care to hazard a guess as to how this may have occurred? All opinions and conspiratorial theories are welcomed.

Posted at the discretion of Moderation.

So somebody “lifted” your coin number on a registry set? How terribly 2024!

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2024 at 9:15 PM, VKurtB said:

So somebody “lifted” your coin number on a registry set? How terribly 2024!

🐓:  Howdy Kurt!  You must have heard.  Quintus is indisposed. He's not himself. Feels he's a nobody. Worthless. Second rate. Says the public remembers who the winners are, be it a registry, marathon, Daytona or valedictorian... not who lost and faded into the woodwork. He's inconsolable. You understand.

He has a theory... best case scenario... because he changed his User Name there to Francois Villon (in anticipation of taking delivery of that phantom pattern) and he is not a ---- member, this is one way to get him to come to them by taking the best of the set quietly, without notice, sitting back, and waiting to see what happens. You know, wait for him to confirm his existence...  He still remembers the seller who sold '09 to him, one of three she presumably bribed former owners to part with, and one of the three seized by Customs in EWR. She wrote him about the 1909; "She is beautiful." No photo, no cert number. Just her word it was an MS-67. And it exceeded his expectations. Worst case scenario borders on paranoia: it being well past awards time, the actual No. 2 wanted to be King of the Day. Only thing: that does not make sense.

The pattern is due shortly. He wants all this wrapped up by the 4th. He doesn't believe in accidental deletions. The coin will be restored, but he doubts he'll get an explanation as to how something like that could have happened in the first place.  Oh, well...

I'll let him know you dropped by. Very kind of you.   🤣

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die polishing.

I expect this matter to be resolved shortly.  I have spoken to those responsible for maintaining the Set Registry and have exchanged a few texts with them. What I am hoping for is not a text saying it's all been taken care of, but how and why this happened in the first place.  In lieu of an explanation, I am expecting a suggestion I change my log-in info.  We'll see...

Posted (edited)