• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dime clash?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

This 2018-P dime does not exhibit clash marks, just damage, likely from corrosive chemicals and/or exposure to high heat.

Clash marks are created when the obverse and reverse dies clash together without a planchet (coin blank) between them, causing part of the design to be transferred from one (or each) side to the other and then struck into coins subsequently produced by the damaged dies. This 1865 copper nickel three cent piece displays clash marks on both sides, especially on the reverse where the outline of Liberty's head and face can be seen, and on the obverse where the bottom portion of one of the digits of the Roman numeral "III" appear emerging from Liberty's neck and traces of the wreath can be seen behind her head:

18653centsnickelobv..thumb.jpg.b9c4177bf6f8b73cfabb11b9e2495faf.jpg

18653centsnickelrev..thumb.jpg.ba29d2717372a083c63cb3613aa09cf8.jpg

Posted (edited)

This is a fire / heat damaged 🔥 clad Dime that was  pinpoint heated to just at melting point. The puddle effect shows semi molten clad nickel was hot enough to sag and flow. Puddles on reverse with tiny holes are air/ gas bubble hole escapes on the molten globules. They are flat suggesting this coin was heated obv up and lifted then manipulated with something to make/ let molten clad sag. Coin was cleaned and here it is. Someone not only dropped the dime they threw down!

Edited by Mike Meenderink

The dime was in its proper environment when you found it - pocket change. It should be returned to circuolation.

Damaged, nothing more.

No one, I repeat, No One -- not even a machine, is going to accept that thing covered with an octopus' tentacles all over it.

On the other hand, it would make an ideal candidate for sale on etsy.  I would imagine a sale price of $50,000, Or Best Offer, would drum up some interest. Hey, and it's rare! When's the last time you saw one of those?  Don't forget to say you have only one left. Hurry!   🤣

On 6/8/2024 at 8:57 PM, Henri Charriere said:

No one, I repeat, No One -- not even a machine, is going to accept that thing covered with an octopus' tentacles all over it.

On the other hand, it would make an ideal candidate for sale on etsy.  I would imagine a sale price of $50,000, Or Best Offer, would drum up some interest. Hey, and it's rare! When's the last time you saw one of those?  Don't forget to say you have only one left. Hurry!   🤣

So you’re the guy writing all those Etsy listings.

On 6/10/2024 at 12:20 AM, VKurtB said:

So you’re the guy writing all those Etsy listings.

I  believe those sellers are contributing to the crime rate.  They are victimizing people, some of whom will become so unhinged that they will try to recoup their losses by any means necessary.