• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Lincoln Cent Post Mint Damage?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Came across this 1966 Lincoln cent with some damage.  Initially thought it was likely caused by vending machine but got confused looking at the head damage.

Where I would expect all scratch marks to be on top of the hair, there are two areas where marks seem to go under his hair.  The damage also appears on Liberty and the date.

I welcome any advice and have photos attached.     

head.png

head2.png

liberty.png

date1.png

Welcome to the forum, please in the future show a complete obv and rev photo that is properly orientated along with any closeups.   Your coin is just damaged, likely from a coin rolling machine.

Thank you for your response!  I was concerned about the upload size limits so did not post obverse and reverse photos.  I have attached obverse and reverse to this post.

obverse.png

reverse.png

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Usually we require clear, cropped full images of both sides of the coin to be able to give you a proper opinion of what the topic of the post is about.

In this case, I think I see enough from your provided photos to know the placement and circular nature of the scratches is damage from a coin roll wrapping machine. This is a common form of damage on circulated cents that have been rolled by a machine. It can happen on either the obverse or the reverse depending on which side of the coin was facing outward at the end of the roll when it was wrapped.

These machines can either be not properly set up when rolling begins, or can come out of adjustment after making many rolls and cause this kind of damage.

This can also be found on any coin denomination that gets rolled (cents, nickels, dimes, quarters, halfs, dollars) and can be found on nearly any year of issue depending on when the roll wrapping machine was employed to roll coins. According to Wikipedia, the first patent for such a machine was in 1901 and by 1911 many banks in the United States were using these machines.

On 6/7/2024 at 12:05 PM, Henri Charriere said:

🐓:  Any relation to big pharma?  

Not to my knowledge.  Thought I was pretty safe selecting "Pharma" as my forum name. :cry: