• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964-D: strike through? double strike?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am diving into the 1964-D pennies, as I have come across a collection of them that were well preserved. I have five samples from the collection. I do not want the owner (family member) to invest in having them graded if they are unlikely to have much value. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you may be able to offer in regards to each sample below (1. is it unique or just damaged, 2. should it be graded, 3. what might it be worth) as well as any feedback you may have in general. I am more than happy to provide some additional pictures, just let me know what would be helpful and I will get you what I can. 

All five samples:

image.png.6790f07b3d8ba636b5d96e7740eb78f0.png

Sample 1:

image.png.b4f5b720f6800b33c9ba009d9d03bc44.png

Sample 2:

image.png.a5efa04a6dc154853373d8f5975ac45a.png

image.png.8012968bddb4d1b4c6321685f2765297.pngimage.png.093ea6adeb3aaff03ad003f2f5c7561d.png

Sample 3:

image.png.5404af4312d3c2af61caac560f3501b2.png

image.png.5b3661b33beac10f52c14a7b87a107e7.png

Sample 4:

image.png.fab8e53b3526f6007edd818c2c33a749.png

Sample 5: 

(forthcoming) 

image.png

Edited by Tom Pete

Posted (edited)

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I would like to provide opinions on your cents here, but if you read the posting guidelines, you should post only ONE coin per thread. By the time I scrolled to the bottom where the comments actually begin, I was confused as to which coin is actually which and what I am supposed to be commenting on.

My advice is to close this thread if possible and put each coin into its own thread if you want members here to be able to properly give their opinions.

Also, while your photos are decent, post fully cropped photos of both sides of each coin (also in the posting guidelines).

Edited by powermad5000

On 6/3/2024 at 7:55 PM, Tom Pete said:

I am diving into the 1964-D pennies, as I have come across a collection of them that were well preserved. I have five samples from the collection. I do not want the owner (family member) to invest in having them graded if they are unlikely to have much value. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you may be able to offer in regards to each sample below (1. is it unique or just damaged, 2. should it be graded, 3. what might it be worth) as well as any feedback you may have in general. I am more than happy to provide some additional pictures, just let me know what would be helpful and I will get you what I can. 

In my opinion none are worth getting graded with the exception of the possible strike through coin (sample) #2.   That might barely be worth the cost if designated as a mint error by NGC, but even that one I would likely just sell raw.   NGC only recognizes a single RPM for 1964-D cents and none of your coins appear to be a match from the closeups; overall the condition of each coin is that of low mint state or AU (almost uncirculated).   This is a very common coin as the mint produced millions and they were saved in large quantities by the roll and bag.   Aside from the possible strike through coin these coins are only worth $.50 each at the very most, dealers would pay a nickel each if they are in a generous mood.

As indicated by @powermad5000, it is better to post only one coin per topic, including clear, photos of each side of the coin, cropped to show only the coin and as little as possible of the surrounding surface, like this:

1939centobv..thumb.jpg.95d1aa63533a32ad0d87cb824bc9dc24.jpg

1939centrev..thumb.jpg.079265600a492277920ac76abcfa9830.jpg

The year 1964 was around the peak of the "BU roll craze" during which collectors and speculators saved large quantities of rolls and mint sewn bags of coins (5,000 coins per bag in the case of cents), resulting in the non-silver pieces from these years still being abundantly common in all but the highest uncirculated grades (MS 67 RD or higher). One can still buy 50-coin rolls of Brilliant Uncirculated 1964-D cents for far less than the $23 "Economy" tier grading fee that NGC would charge to grade a single one of these coins, not including processing and shipping costs. From what I can see, the coins you are showing here have numerous nicks and scratches and would not achieve sufficiently high grades to make submission to a grading service worthwhile. (Error attribution would cost an additional $18 per coin at NGC, and none of these coins appears to feature a significant enough error to attribute, including the coin with the strikethrough.) 

Before you even think about submitting coins to third-party grading services, you must know how to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself. Only individual coins worth at least several hundred dollars are worth the cost of submission.  What books and other resources have you been using to learn about coins?

Posted (edited)

@powermad5000 Thank you for the kind welcome and suggestions. I think my shotgun approach works well for these at present, as they may not be worthy of individual posts. I wanted to share the writings on the packages, as I thought they might be helpful in identifying what I have. Do you believe any of these warrant an individual post with better pictures?

@CoinbufThank you. Your general feedback is most helpful.

@SandonAs I understand it, these are from rolls that were collected from the Denver Mint in the 1960s. I hear you on the pics, for sure. These may not be submitted for grading. I have only started, today, researching these coins. The sample I have shared may not be the best from the collection. As I learn more I may have additional samples to share, and I will follow the advice and rules next time. Are there any educational materials you suggest I review as I look into this collection further?

Edited by Tom Pete

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 11:55 PM, Tom Pete said:

Are there any educational materials you suggest I review as I look into this collection further?

Please see the following forum topics:

You should also attend such venues as coin shows and coin club meetings where you can examine a variety of coins and speak with experienced collectors and dealers.

Edited by Sandon

On 6/3/2024 at 10:55 PM, Tom Pete said:

@powermad5000 Thank you for the kind welcome and suggestions. I think my shotgun approach works well for these at present, as they may not be worthy of individual posts. I wanted to share the writings on the packages, as I thought they might be helpful in identifying what I have. Do you believe any of these warrant an individual post with better pictures?

Understandably you can also include pics of the flip with the writing on it as well as cropped closeups. To me, any coin is worthy of individual posts. If you browse the newbie forum here, you will find coins posted ranging from superb to terrible. On occasion, we do find something missed by the poster of the coin that changes the entire discussion.