• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Strick Through with Debris
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I am curious if these 1964 Denver pennies with strike through mint errors, one with apparat debris remaining are worth getting valued. Any thoughts as to the potential value of these? 

image.png.308844171f81f6a097162dd9031bb7b2.png

image.png.c2d2c41083a1ac28492ad1a9cf257462.png

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  Please note that the NGC Registry forum is for topics directly related to the NGC certified coin registry. This topic would receive better attention if posted in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum or the "U.S., World and Ancient Coins" forum. The Administrator will likely move it to one of them.

It isn't clear to me that these 1964-D cents exhibit strikethroughs or just damage in the case of the first and a stain in the case of the second, but assuming that they are strikethroughs, these would be considered minor errors and would be worth no more than a few dollars each to knowledgeable collectors.

On 6/3/2024 at 4:33 PM, Tom Pete said:

I am curious if these 1964 Denver pennies with strike through mint errors, one with apparat debris remaining are worth getting valued. Any thoughts as to the potential value of these? 

The top coin may indeed be a legit strike through debris, it's hard to say for sure with photos taken while the coin is in a 2x2.   Really an in hand look would be best to determine if any metal is piled up along the edges from an impact after the coin was minted.   As it looks legit from what I can see it is a true mint error, but I agree that it is very minor, usually minor errors like this also have minor added value, less than $20 dollars would be my best guess.

I also agree with Sandon that the second coin looks to just be a carbon/corrosion spot and not a strike through.

You could take the first pictured coin to a reputable dealer for inspection to see whether that is an actual strike through or just impact damage after the coin was minted. I do see some circulation marks so it is possible the coin got damaged somehow. If it were an actual strike through error, as far as errors go, strike throughs are quite common and this one is minor as well as it would not be clear what object was in the striking chamber to cause it. When strike throughs can be explained (wire, cloth, press maintenance parts, feeder fingers, etc.) they can gain more premium. This coin being what it is, and what condition it is in might be only worth $10-15 as an error coin if it actually is.

Your second coin has no error and just a spot of environmental damage.

Danny Downer here.  Awful lot of optimism in the air, but I come equipped with an app for that:  my pending proposal, briefly noted as TBSOL.

TIME-BARRED [BY MY] (PROPOSED) STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS.

Time is money and an inordinately disproportionate amount of time is being wasted on 20th century alleged ERRORS.  A collector has a quarter of a century to bring forth his claim.  If he, and a succession of others, fail to do so... my sincere condolences.

True, varieties have been "discovered" 200 years after the fact, but nobody has dedicated a Forum on their identification.  Maybe what's needed is a separate Forum devoted to fanatics of these numismatic mutations. IMNSHO.