• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1932 D Quarter
1 1

8 posts in this topic

An honest AG that did its duty in commerce, then retired to a quiet bag of silver. Nice find and good for an album. Too worn to be worth "grading" fees.

While sharper images would help, especially to make sure the coin doesn't have an added mintmark, it appears to grade a full "Good".  The ANA Grading Guide (7th ed., p. 222) indicates in pertinent part that for the G 4 grade, on the obverse, "Half of motto is readable", and this feature is always weak on coins dated 1932. "LIBERTY and date are weak but visible. Rim merges with letters."  On the reverse, "Legend is all visible but merges with rim."  This coin looks stronger overall than the coin in the grading guide photo and would likely merit a G 6 grade. It doesn't look strong enough to grade VG 8. It's certainly a nice find in "junk silver" if genuine, as appears likely from what I can see.

On 6/2/2024 at 1:49 PM, Sandon said:

While sharper images would help, especially to make sure the coin doesn't have an added mintmark, it appears to grade a full "Good".  The ANA Grading Guide (7th ed., p. 222) indicates in pertinent part that for the G 4 grade, on the obverse, "Half of motto is readable", and this feature is always weak on coins dated 1932. "LIBERTY and date are weak but visible. Rim merges with letters."  On the reverse, "Legend is all visible but merges with rim."  This coin looks stronger overall than the coin in the grading guide photo and would likely merit a G 6 grade. It doesn't look strong enough to grade VG 8. It's certainly a nice find in "junk silver" if genuine, as appears likely from what I can see.

Excellent

I would only add that ANY1932 D Quarter in G or higher is definitely worth grading and encapsulating. The lower grade every man coins are becoming harder and harder to find in gradable condition. They also sell well when ready to liquidate. The coin you have posted is as Sandon said a strong G 6. With some light professional conservation and a wishful heart, you may just squeak a VG 8. I think you could get it. If you do I'd buy it from you at Guide plus 15%. Cheers!

On 6/2/2024 at 4:43 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

I would only add that ANY1932 D Quarter in G or higher is definitely worth grading and encapsulating. The lower grade every man coins are becoming harder and harder to find in gradable condition. They also sell well when ready to liquidate. The coin you have posted is as Sandon said a strong G 6. With some light professional conservation and a wishful heart, you may just squeak a VG 8.

The only thing I worry about with this coin is a previous cleaning and that it would get a details grade if it were submitted. How the crud is around the mintmark and other harder to get at spots on the reverse would have me worried about a details grade. Might be tough for it to even be a break even on slabbing it if it gets a Good Details grade.