• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General questions
1 1

42 posts in this topic

Why is it that some sites say that a wheat penny or a Lincoln Cent is scarce or rare when other sites or forums say that the same coin it's worth face value only and is not scarce. Example: 1982 d zinc comp 2.5 g small date Lincoln Cent. Auction record for that penny is 18,000 I believe, yet the same coin, my coin has been pcgs photo graded at ms67, you then send pics out to different forums an some say, it's only worth face value while others say, nice Coin, get it graded. It's confusing to someone new in this business. Second concern: I've looked thru the archives of pcgs an ngc an see coins with small scratches with grades above ms 60. You send pics out again an your told, it has a small scratch it's worth face value. I didn't  think you could get a coin graded with any sort of scratch. I can't speak  for other beginners, but it's frustrating an confusing for this beginner. Your feedback is appreciated.

On 5/29/2024 at 5:02 PM, double ddo said:

Why is it that some sites say that a wheat penny or a Lincoln Cent is scarce or rare when other sites or forums say that the same coin it's worth face value only and is not scarce. Example: 1982 d zinc comp 2.5 g small date Lincoln Cent. Auction record for that penny is 18,000 I believe, yet the same coin, my coin has been pcgs photo graded at ms67, you then send pics out to different forums an some say, it's only worth face value while others say, nice Coin, get it graded. It's confusing to someone new in this business. Second concern: I've looked thru the archives of pcgs an ngc a see coins with small scratches with grades above ms 60. You send pics out again a your told, it has a small scratch it's worth face value. I didn't  think you could get a coin graded with any sort of scratch. I can't speak  for other beginners, but it's frustrating a confusing for this beginner. Your feedback is appreciated.

Re: “frustrating and confusing”.

The problem causing these feelings is the belief that “my coin is as nice as that one”. It isn’t. I promise it’s not. You need to understand what makes one coin nicer than another, and it’s NOT WHAT ANY BEGINNER THINKS IT IS! Sorry, but the collecting field is NOT intuitive. In fact, it’s often COUNTERINTUITIVE. When we are talking about the truly lofty grades, the key differences defy still image photography. One has to hold said coins IN THEIR HANDS, unfortunately with DECADES OF EXPERIENCE, to even guess at these über-grades. Grading these coins from photos will lead you astray EVERY TIME. 

On 5/30/2024 at 7:04 PM, RWB said:

Sadly, the internet and "social media" have enabled a class of people for whom deceit, fraud, misrepresentation and persistent lying are the core of their existence. They prey on trusting people and those with limited critical thinking skills, for profit and for reinforcement of their own distorted personalities.

So here we are, using the Internet to “teach” numismatics, as if such a thing were even remotely possible beyond extremely basic concepts. We remain silent about this at our own personal and reputational peril. Numismatics is about three dimensional objects made mostly of metals. The Internet is two dimensional and deals with electronic and digital pics. We need to do better, or by “keepin’ it rill” as they say in da hood. 

On 5/29/2024 at 6:42 PM, Coinbuf said:

As I type this reply there is a thread on another forum about a Kennedy half dollar that was sold in Jan as an MS66, it was just resold this month with a new grade of MS67+, same coin just a new grade and a very drastic change in value.   And this type of thing happens quite often; here is a screen shot of the coin in question.

image.thumb.png.86032891b81bc0e0ed2329e52a71d98e.png

This is the Franklin Gradeflation Thread all over !!!  :o  UNREAL !!!

Do we know when the MS-66 grading took place ? 

One thing we can all agree on:  unless that coin was ORIGINALLY graded like 25-30 years ago, that's a big jump in grade.(thumbsu

I can't tell for sure without seeing the reverse, but the coin is no earlier than a Gen 4.4 Holder from 2005-11 when "gradeflation" was all the range.  So I am somewhat surprised/shocked it "only" got a 66 then and is now a 67+.

Somebody here was telling me that the Franklin incident could have been because toning got accepted after the original (low) grade but that didn't appear to be the case then and it CERTAINLY isn't the case now as this coin has been toned and graded/sold as such for some time during both holders existence with this coin.

On 5/30/2024 at 8:15 PM, VKurtB said:

So here we are, using the Internet to “teach” numismatics, as if such a thing were even remotely possible beyond extremely basic concepts. We remain silent about this at our own personal and reputational peril. Numismatics is about three dimensional objects made mostly of metals. The Internet is two dimensional and deals with electronic and digital pics. We need to do better, or by “keepin’ it rill” as they say in da hood. 

Don't sell the internet, proper social media -- like this site -- short for their ability to transmit information to those who WANT to learn and do so PROPERLY. (thumbsu

For MOST people, it's been a godsend.

There have been scam artist coin shows, dealers, collectors, etc....you wouldn't say that ALL of those things shouldn't have been around for the last 100 years, right ? :)

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 12:46 PM, Coinbuf said:

No only the submitter and PCGS knows exactly when the coin was graded as MS66, however, we don't need to see the rev to know the holder generation.   It's a 6.1 holder used from late 2020 to current.   I can tell that from the little NFC symbol in the bottom left (viewers left) corner of the obv holder, only the most current generation holder uses the NFC technology.

Wow...so in under 3 1/2 years it went up 1 1/2 grades ?  OMG.....:o

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 6/2/2024 at 5:10 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Wow...so in under 3 years it went up 1 1/2 grades ?  OMG.....:o

No more like 3 months, it sold as MS66 in Jan of 24, then again in May at the new higher grade.   What we don't know is how many times it was resubmitted between the Jan auction to the May result, my guess is this was over two show submissions, but no way to know for sure.

On 6/2/2024 at 7:10 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Wow...so in 5 months it went up 1 1/2 grades ?  OMG.....:o

Read up on the Ike regrades.

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 8:15 PM, Coinbuf said:

No more like 3 months, it sold as MS66 in Jan of 24, then again in May at the new higher grade.   What we don't know is how many times it was resubmitted between the Jan auction to the May result, my guess is this was over two show submissions, but no way to know for sure.

But even if it was graded late-2020 (the earliest for that Gen Holder), that's a pretty quick turnaround to go up 1 1 2/ increments.

Very surprised....esp. since the PCGS folks you would think might not get that many coins uniquely toned in that high a grade that it would stand out and maybe they all remember the coin as a 66.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 6/2/2024 at 5:17 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

But even if it was graded late-2020 (the earliest for that Gen Holder), that's a pretty quick turnaround to go up 1 1 2/ increments.

Very surprised....esp. since the PCGS folks you would think might not get that many coins uniquely toned in that high a grade that it would stand out and maybe they all remember the coin as a 66.

PCGS has had a lot of turnover with graders from what I have read/heard, in fact they have the most junior grading staff of any TPG.   It's very likely that the graders that saw it between the Jan and May auctions were not the same that originally graded it MS66.

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 8:25 PM, Coinbuf said:

PCGS has had a lot of turnover with graders from what I have read/heard, in fact they have the most junior grading staff of any TPG.   It's very likely that the graders that saw it between the Jan and May auctions were not the same that originally graded it MS66.

I guess the toning and other stuff could throw off graders at 2 different intervals for a coin that isn't seen in that condition and grade.  I'd be surprised to see a non-toned MSD or Saint change that much in a few years.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

This problem isn't new. Back in the early days of third-party grading, Coin World sent coins to grading services, cracked them out, resubmitted them, and got grades that varied by as many as five points (such as AU 58 to MS 63), sometimes from the same grading service, over a time frame too short for grading standards to have changed. 

Assuming that the 1969-D Kennedy half dollar has unusually mark-free surfaces, full luster, and a decent strike, which can't be determined from the images, an appropriate adjectival description would be "Gem Uncirculated with rainbow toning", whether the numerical grade awarded is 66 or 67+.  Is it worth $448 or $5,064?  For that matter, is it worth either amount given that a nice untoned Choice Brilliant Uncirculated example of this issue can be purchased for $8 or so?  Why do we allow prices to be dictated by a subjectively determined number on a little paper tag?

On 6/2/2024 at 9:36 PM, Sandon said:

Assuming that the 1969-D Kennedy half dollar has unusually mark-free surfaces, full luster, and a decent strike, which can't be determined from the images, an appropriate adjectival description would be "Gem Uncirculated with rainbow toning", whether the numerical grade awarded is 66 or 67+.  Is it worth $448 or $5,064?  For that matter, is it worth either amount given that a nice untoned Choice Brilliant Uncirculated example of this issue can be purchased for $8 or so?  Why do we allow prices to be dictated by a subjectively determined number on a little paper tag?

Choice BU though is about MS-63, right ?  That's 3 grades lower than even the 66.

On 6/2/2024 at 9:54 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Choice BU though is about MS-63, right ?  That's 3 grades lower than even the 66.

That's right. I've never understood why whatever difference that there may be would be worth hundreds or thousands of dollars, especially for a common coin.  Unlike the grades for circulated coins, the differences between the eleven or more mint state grades can't be objectively described or applied. It's not a rational way to determine value.

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 10:05 PM, Sandon said:

That's right. I've never understood why whatever difference that there may be would be worth hundreds or thousands of dollars, especially for a common coin.  Unlike the grades for circulated coins, the differences between the eleven or more mint state grades can't be objectively described or applied. It's not a rational way to determine value.

But surely you know that low-60's vs. 65 vs. 67 and up are definitely different, right ?

I can't speak about this coin but on MSDs or Saints, it's like night-and-day when you go up 3 or more increments in the Mint State.  And the folks with $$$ want the best ones so they pay up.

Why does a ticket in the Legend Seats at Yankee Stadium cost $2,500 and another seat 100 feet away in the Upper Deck costs maybe $30 ? xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 6/2/2024 at 7:14 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Why does a ticket in the Legend Seats at Yankee Stadium cost $2,500 and another seat 100 feet away in the Upper Deck costs maybe $30 ? xD

Exactly, @Sandon truly you know that the "best" almost always costs more, even if its not that much better.   I personally don't think of BMW as a top quality car, but nobody is selling them for Yugo prices, just as nobody is selling floor seats at nosebleed prices.   The best coins have always commanded top prices, that was true before TPG's and it is still true today.

Yes I get what you are saying, but like it or not using the TPG grade to determine price is a very logical way for the market to consume TPG graded coins.    The current market is driven by what that little paper tag says, especially so at the tip of the spear where all the whales are feeding.   Coins like this are bought up by the registry players who are more driven by top pops (even if they are not) than anything else.

This particular half is a technical MS65 or MS64 to my eye, but color and eye appeal (however you define that) are what drive the market, and PCGS has always been very much in love with both color and luster.

On 6/2/2024 at 7:25 PM, Coinbuf said:

Add to that the fact they are all Californians and are therefore insane by definition.

Posted (edited)

The real wildcard variable is toning.  Not only can some folks be willing to pay up for it but it could also HIDE blemishes that otherwise would have debited points.

From what I have read here, toning wasn't something most people wanted 25-30 years ago or so.  Not even sure there were many toned coins back then -- were there ?

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 6/3/2024 at 9:46 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

The real wildcard variable is toning.  Not only can some folks be willing to pay up for it but it could also HIDE blemishes that otherwise would have debited points.

From what I have read here, toning wasn't something most people wanted 25-30 years ago or so.  Not even sure there were many toned coins back then -- were there ?

True. There were not so many toned coins 25-30 years ago. The large scale intentional creation of toned coins hadn’t begun yet. Nascent demand CREATES supply. It is THE fundamental dishonesty of this hobby which cannot be denied. 

On 6/3/2024 at 7:46 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Yes, while the market overall favored blast white 30 or so years ago, and many still do, there have always been toned coins and those that preferred toned.

On 6/2/2024 at 8:25 PM, Coinbuf said:

PCGS has had a lot of turnover with graders from what I have read/heard, in fact they have the most junior grading staff of any TPG.   

Really...interesting.  I wonder if they got poached. :|

It takes a big investment to create a quality grader....I doubt you can take even a long-time collector and have him be an expert on multiple series right off the bat and throw him into the fray.

Just curious....anybody have an idea what a junior and senior grader at a TPG make ?  I'm talking a guy who maybe just joined a TPG vs. a guy who has been there 15 years or something like that.  Always wondered......