• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 D penny error
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

20240529_002758.thumb.jpg.a9e55fd8bb01bc520aa0033520b8c257.jpgI have this 1971d penny and the E isn't stamped states of the lower part isn't stamped well either and on the right side of the building where I think it's FG or FC isn't stamped either im new to this so I was just wondering if it's a common error in this year's penny

20240528_221026.jpg

Edited by Bc25

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

Please post full photos of both sides of a coin about which you have questions. Based on what I can see, your coin doesn't exhibit any anomaly of sufficient significance to be classified as a mint error.  The "E" in "E PLURIBUS UNUM" appears to have been flattened by a nick or scrape. The designer's initials "FG" (for Frank Gasparro) are weak or missing due to a weak strike or a filled die, but this is generally considered to be a quality control issue, not a mint error. Such coins are sometimes offered for a small premium and collected as a novelty.

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum, impossible to tell with well worn coins what may or may not have been missing when the coin was struck (struck not stamped no postage is due;)).   Many coins have some areas that are weakly struck or not struck at all due to some debris or grease that can be on one if the coin dies.   These are referred to as grease strike throughs, and while they may be interesting, they do not add any numismatic value to the coin.

Your coin may have been struck from dies with grease, but even if it were the time in circulation and the marks it has obtained make all that moot.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 5/28/2024 at 10:19 PM, Bc25 said:

20240529_002758.thumb.jpg.a9e55fd8bb01bc520aa0033520b8c257.jpgI have this 1971d penny and the E isn't stamped states of the lower part isn't stamped well either and on the right side of the building where I think it's FG or FC isn't stamped either im new to this so I was just wondering if it's a common error in this year's penny

20240528_221026.jpg

Sorry I didn't put the front on there but there it is and thanks for the information 

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I don't think you have any error on this cent. While the E in E PLURIBUS UNUM may have suffered a heavy hit that caused it to look that way, I think it could be more of the weakness of the lettering on the reverse in that area. Many Lincoln Memorial Cents exhibit weakness of the lettering in the area that your coin exhibits (STATES oF A in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and occasionally E PLURIBUS UNUM as well) due to the relief on the obverse. When you flip the coin over that same area on the obverse side is the lower bust of Lincoln. Because of the relief of the design, more metal flows into the bust of Lincoln on the obverse which left the lettering in the area we are discussing on the reverse to be weak and in some of the more severe cases were the dies were overworn but still in use, there are specimens where some of the lettering on the reverse is barely visible or missing (especially the o in oF).

A large number of cents exhibit this characteristic and it is very common to find. Check through your change and I bet you will find many cents with this same reverse weakness.