• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Off centered coin, does it have any value
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello and welcome to the forum. The coin you have posted is an off-center strike coin. It appears to be a Philippines coin of some small denomination. Usually, these coins are sought after by collectors, but collectors prefer to buy off center strike coins that still show a date. Dateless off center struck coins are not as sought after. This coin has been struck 80%-85% off center leaving almost nothing of the coin's details. I would not value the coin more than $3.00-$4.00 to the right buyer. Cheers!

Welcome to the NGC Chat Board.

You appear to have a legitimate error coin--an unusual occurrence on these forums--that was not only struck well off center but also misstruck on the other side, perhaps by being struck over a previously struck piece in the coinage chamber. (Take another look, @Mike Meenderink .) It is clearly a coin from the Philippines when it was under U.S. sovereignty.  If it is a 50-centavo piece struck after 1906, the diameter should be 27 mm. It looks a bit small. Another possibility would be a 20-centavos dated from 1903-06, which would be 23 mm.

In addition to obtaining additional responses on this forum, you may want to post this for additional opinions on the CONECA forum at https://board.conecaonline.org/forum (free registration required) and/or show it to Jon Sullivan, a respected errors dealer, at https://sullivannumismatics.com/contact-us/.

It would be difficult for me to place a value on this piece, as no two error pieces are alike. A piece featuring two different errors could command more of a premium than just an off-center strike.  Mr. Sullivan should have some idea of its value.

On 5/28/2024 at 3:06 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC Chat Board.

You appear to have a legitimate error coin--an unusual occurrence on these forums--that was not only struck well off center but also misstruck on the other side, perhaps by being struck over a previously struck piece in the coinage chamber. (Take another look, @Mike Meenderink .) It is clearly a coin from the Philippines when it was under U.S. sovereignty.  If it is a 50-centavo piece struck after 1906, the diameter should be 27 mm. It looks a bit small. Another possibility would be a 20-centavos dated from 1903-06, which would be 23 mm.

In addition to obtaining additional responses on this forum, you may want to post this for additional opinions on the CONECA forum at https://board.conecaonline.org/forum (free registration required) and/or show it to Jon Sullivan, a respected errors dealer, at https://sullivannumismatics.com/contact-us/.

It would be difficult for me to place a value on this piece, as no two error pieces are alike. A piece featuring two different errors could command more of a premium than just an off-center strike.  Mr. Sullivan should have some idea of its value.

As I did not examine this coin beyond assigning a preliminary overall error type Sandon may be correct that this coin has further attributes needing more investigation. The pictures however are not clear, and the coin would need an in person experienced analysis to know more. I am not an expert in Philippines coins or the history of the US Mints concurrent manufacturing of these coins. I do however understand certain mules and errors do exist with the concurrent minting of US coins and US minted Philippines coins in the same facilities. Sandon is correct to point you to CONECA. The organization is very helpful when attempting to seriously attribute a coin. Goodluck. Cheers!

Thank you so much Mike and Sandon for your assessments, I will definitely check out CONECA and Mr. Sullivan to get to know more about this coin.  

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You have a legitimate error coin which is struck very far off center. Congratulations!!!! While Mike does have a point that collectors prefer to have a visible date, a coin with such a major off center strike such as this is preferred by collectors over a coin showing a date with say only a 5% or 10% off center strike. It is very difficult to assign a value to error coins as each are unique and it depends on a collector looking for the country and type of coin as well as if there becomes a situation in which two collectors are both present and both want the coin in an auction of it.

Sandon has pointed you in the right directions and I would heed his advice.