• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 small date penny
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I am not sure completely if this is a small date. Is the bow tie design an error, are there any real errors? Please let me know what do you think about this coin, I am very new at this, just started. Thank you

IMG_3687.jpg

image.jpeg

• Administrator

Hello @nutiThank you for contacting us and sharing photos of your beautiful coin. Unfortunately, we cannot evaluate or authenticate coins via photos. An in-hand evaluation by the grading team would be required to evaluate the coin and confirm if it has any mint errors. Here are the instructions and links to help get you started submitting your coin to us:

If you are interested in submitting coins for grading, you can become a paid member of Collector's Society through Join NGC Today | NGC (ngccoin.com). You can find more information on how to start submitting coins online at How to Submit. 

You’ll need to have a general idea of the value of each coin to help select which grading “tier” or category to submit the coin under. Grading tiers and fees can be found at Services and Fees | Coin Submissions | NGC (ngccoin.com). To add on the Mint Error service, it is an additional $18.00 to review.

If you do not wish to sign up for membership, you can find a listing of authorized NGC dealers that can submit the coins on your behalf here: NGC Coin Dealer Locator

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 8:05 AM, nuti said:

Hi, I am not sure completely if this is a small date. Is the bow tie design an error, are there any real errors? Please let me know what do you think about this coin, I am very new at this, just started. Thank you

Welcome to the forum, while the NGC representatives cannot provide you any advice the collectors and dealers that are the membership of this board can and will provide you feedback from your photos.   However, you need to post your questions in the newbie section of this forum, there your questions will be seen by a far greater number of the forum membership.   Thanks for providing both the obv and rev photos mostly cropped and close to a straight orientation, many do not.

From your photos you appear to have a well circulated bronze small date of which the US mint made millions in 1982, the lack of a mintmark means this coin was minted at the Philadelphia mint.   A weight to two decimal places would be needed to confirm if you have the bronze or zinc core type of coin, both were struck by the US mint in 1982.    You did not ask but the value of such a coin is just face value, too many were produced and saved for circulated examples to have any value over face value.   I do not see any visible errors on this coin.

Edited by Coinbuf