• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Registry - Obverse photos - issue fixed
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone know why this happened, I spent time taking nice photos and uploading them, now they are missing....

• Administrator

***Wednesday, June 12th update *** The programmers have reported this has been resolved. Thank you for your patience. 

Hello, @Serfass.

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties. It has come to our attention that there is a temporary programming error that occurred. Our programmers are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. Our apologies. We will email you as soon as we hear as resolution has occurred. Thank you for your patience.

You might want to try uploading the photos again.  This could be time consuming but might resolve the problem.

On 5/25/2024 at 1:04 PM, Sandon said:

You might want to try uploading the photos again.  This could be time consuming but might resolve the problem.

I just don't understand why they would disappear, and programmers??? what do programmers do???  It is frustrating to go on and see so many photos missing.

Hi All.  I'm having the same issue-- with almost half of my Registry coins.  I upload my own obverse photos for all my coins on the Registry.  Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain this is more than a programming glitch.  I believe it's also data loss.  The following is an email exchange between me and Colin Leonard, NGC Director of Operations, regarding this matter.  I hope for the best, but I fear for the worst.

=======================================

Hello Craig,

First of all, I am happy to learn that your last submission was error-free and to your satisfaction.

As regards your images on the registry database, I’ll get your information in front of the appropriate people here and get back to you with what I find out.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Best Regards,

Colin

NGC, NCS, PMG, CGC, CCS, ASG and CAG are independent members of the Certified Collectibles Group

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. If you are the intended recipient, please be advised that the content of this message is subject to access, review and disclosure by the sender's Email System Administrator.

From: craigalanbenson@comcast.net <craigalanbenson@comcast.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2024 12:55 PM
Subject: More Issues

Hi Colin,

I received my last submission, number 6900486, this week without any issue whatsoever.  Thank you again for the oversight.  I truly appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I need to report a separate issue to you, this time with the NGC Registry.  I apologize if this is not your realm of responsibility, but I don’ t know to whom I should voice my concerns.

Early last week, I noticed that 113 obverse images were missing from “My Competitive Coins” pages on the NGC Registry.  Please note that the missing images were taken by me, so they aren’t the NGC-supplied images.  I supply my own obverse images for all the coins I maintain on the Registry.  These images represent a sizeable amount of my personal time to maintain.

I created an alert through the NGC site’s contact channel and then sent a subsequent email regarding the issue—here were the replies:

1. 5/24/2024 – We are sorry to hear that you are having difficulties.  It has come to our attention that there is a temporary programming error that occurred. Our programmers are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. Our apologies. We will email you as soon as we hear as resolution has occurred.  Thank you for your patience.  Sarah M.
  2. 5/28/2024 – A resolution has not been made as of yet.  We do have security images on file for most coins certified since 2007, so we hope restoring these images will be an easy fix once the problem has been diagnosed.  Again, we will email you directly once we hear from our programmers.  We appreciate your patience.  Sarah M.

As a retired IT Director for the State of Vermont, I’m taken aback by two factors:

1. A programming issue led to the image loss

Are your programmers interacting with NGC’s live (production) environment without so much as testing their code in a separate test environment? 

That is cause for serious concern with NGC’s Software Development Lifecycle and its software/database infrastructure.

1. Downtime continues

To rectify the issue, a simple restoration from a database backup would need to occur—a skill that NGC’s Database Administrator should have.  The fact that there’s been no fix yet leads me to believe one or more of the following:

1.         Database architecture is not being used to host site content,

2.         Database backups are not being taken,

3.         Database backups are corrupt/invalid, and/or

4.         Database administration skillset is lacking (or worse yet, nonexistent)

That is cause for serious concern with NGC’s data loss policies and procedures.

Before I (re)invest hours of my time to (re)upload new images, I would appreciate an honest answer as to whether NGC can fix the issue or not.  Please advise.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Craig Benson

On 5/25/2024 at 8:42 PM, Robert Gieski said:

This same issue happened to me. I just uploaded the photos again. I saved all in special folder on computer. 

On 6/1/2024 at 3:06 PM, Boom2 said:

Hi All.  I'm having the same issue-- with almost half of my Registry coins.  I upload my own obverse photos for all my coins on the Registry.  Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain this is more than a programming glitch.  I believe it's also data loss.  The following is an email exchange between me and Colin Leonard, NGC Director of Operations, regarding this matter.  I hope for the best, but I fear for the worst.

=======================================

Hello Craig,

First of all, I am happy to learn that your last submission was error-free and to your satisfaction.

As regards your images on the registry database, I’ll get your information in front of the appropriate people here and get back to you with what I find out.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Best Regards,

Colin

NGC, NCS, PMG, CGC, CCS, ASG and CAG are independent members of the Certified Collectibles Group

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. If you are the intended recipient, please be advised that the content of this message is subject to access, review and disclosure by the sender's Email System Administrator.

From: craigalanbenson@comcast.net <craigalanbenson@comcast.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2024 12:55 PM
Subject: More Issues

Hi Colin,

I received my last submission, number 6900486, this week without any issue whatsoever.  Thank you again for the oversight.  I truly appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I need to report a separate issue to you, this time with the NGC Registry.  I apologize if this is not your realm of responsibility, but I don’ t know to whom I should voice my concerns.

Early last week, I noticed that 113 obverse images were missing from “My Competitive Coins” pages on the NGC Registry.  Please note that the missing images were taken by me, so they aren’t the NGC-supplied images.  I supply my own obverse images for all the coins I maintain on the Registry.  These images represent a sizeable amount of my personal time to maintain.

I created an alert through the NGC site’s contact channel and then sent a subsequent email regarding the issue—here were the replies:

1. 5/24/2024 – We are sorry to hear that you are having difficulties.  It has come to our attention that there is a temporary programming error that occurred. Our programmers are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. Our apologies. We will email you as soon as we hear as resolution has occurred.  Thank you for your patience.  Sarah M.
  2. 5/28/2024 – A resolution has not been made as of yet.  We do have security images on file for most coins certified since 2007, so we hope restoring these images will be an easy fix once the problem has been diagnosed.  Again, we will email you directly once we hear from our programmers.  We appreciate your patience.  Sarah M.

As a retired IT Director for the State of Vermont, I’m taken aback by two factors:

1. A programming issue led to the image loss

Are your programmers interacting with NGC’s live (production) environment without so much as testing their code in a separate test environment? 

That is cause for serious concern with NGC’s Software Development Lifecycle and its software/database infrastructure.

1. Downtime continues

To rectify the issue, a simple restoration from a database backup would need to occur—a skill that NGC’s Database Administrator should have.  The fact that there’s been no fix yet leads me to believe one or more of the following:

1.         Database architecture is not being used to host site content,

2.         Database backups are not being taken,

3.         Database backups are corrupt/invalid, and/or

4.         Database administration skillset is lacking (or worse yet, nonexistent)

That is cause for serious concern with NGC’s data loss policies and procedures.

Before I (re)invest hours of my time to (re)upload new images, I would appreciate an honest answer as to whether NGC can fix the issue or not.  Please advise.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Craig Benson

I take my own photos also and am still waiting, it is June 6th, I have not had anything fixed.

On 5/24/2024 at 10:51 AM, Ali E. said:

****Tuesday, May 28*********

We will send an update as soon as we hear from the programmers on this issue. Thank you for your patience.

Hello, @Serfass.

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties. It has come to our attention that there is a temporary programming error that occurred. Our programmers are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. Our apologies. We will email you as soon as we hear as resolution has occurred. Thank you for your patience.

Does anyone on NGC have an answer to the photos missing.and when they will be put back on???????????????????  I take my own photos and uploading is time consuming as I want it to look nice and organized but I go on each day and pictures are missing, it looks terrible.