• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1766 George III Gold Guinea Unearthed in New Jersey
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I thought this might interest some members of the forum.  It caused quite a stir locally in New Jersey but may not have made the cut for national news.

In 2022 Rowan University ran a community involved archaeology project at what was Fort Mercer, a Revolutionary War battle site. Unexpectedly, the remains of some 13 Hessian soldiers were found.    One of the artifacts found with the bones was this well preserved coin.  They presume the coin was protected by being in a pouch or boot.  The photo was shot through a plexiglass display case so it’s not sharp and no reverse view was possible.

The project is now in its third year and is commendable for its community involvement and education.   I’ve introduced my older grandchildren to archeology here and enjoy watching them get excited about finding pottery shards and musket balls instead of playing video games.

red bank.JPG

R B 3.JPG

Posted (edited)

This is exactly why I am a coin collector/ numismatist. These types of finds fascinate me. I have dug a few 1800s coins but never a colonial or 1700s and earlier coin. This is a really interesting story, and the history of the site is important to the understanding of the war. Great post!

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 5/22/2024 at 2:02 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

This is exactly why I am a coin collector/ numismatist. These types of finds fascinate me. I have dug a few 1800s coins but never a colonial or 1700s and earlier coin. This is a really interesting story, and the history of the site is important to the understanding of the war. Great post!

Thanks for your kind response.  I love to think of how and what distance coins have traveled…if only they could talk!

I have a technical question if you don’t mind.  I can’t figure out how to insert a member’s name into a reply, as to directly address the writer of a former post.  (Usually I see them show up in green I think). Also, does inserting your quote make my reply go back to you?  Sorry, I’m trying to learn and I’m not from the techie generation.  Thanks

On 5/22/2024 at 4:42 PM, EGH49 said:

Thanks for your kind response.  I love to think of how and what distance coins have traveled…if only they could talk!

I have a technical question if you don’t mind.  I can’t figure out how to insert a member’s name into a reply, as to directly address the writer of a former post.  (Usually I see them show up in green I think). Also, does inserting your quote make my reply go back to you?  Sorry, I’m trying to learn and I’m not from the techie generation.  Thanks

Just type @EGH49 and the person will be hashtagged. You must type exactly the same name caps and all.

Hi there!  :hi:

This may very well be a follow-up story on a Topic I posted, entitled:  "Where's the Guinea?"

A fellow member was kind enough to post a picture of one as the thrust of the article was focused on the archeological dig and details of the combat that had taken place and the coin was seemingly mentioned almost as an afterthought.  

P.S. re hashtag... start with the # and type their user name. If there is a space between # and the name, provide one.  Using this method will help alert the member you wish to reach via a notification. (I regret I am unable to provide you with link to my Topic regarding the above. I only have 16 years of formal schooling.)  🤣