• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC number search for ancient Greek coins.
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I acquired this Tetradrachm - Lysimachos Pergamon some time ago. However it seems that it was under NGC slab and that the previous owner broke the slab. How can I find the NGC number? Thanks in advance.

3 - copie-Photoroom.png-Photoroom.png

3a - copie-Photoroom.png-Photoroom.png

Welcome to the Forum!  :hi:

I believe you are now the record holder for the shortest interval ever recorded for becoming a member, signing in and posting a comment!

Now, to a satisfactory answer to your question. Firstly, it is a beautiful coin.  But without the encapsulation and certification number, it would appear that -- credible explanation, notwithstanding -- you would have to "re"submit the coin for "re"certification unless someone in NGC Ancients, relying on institutional memory, can conclusively ID the coin with photos in their database.  That's simply my guess.  Without the numismatic accoutrements, your coin has reverted to raw status. And that means recertification, and every thing that entails. To be fair, I believe you should wait to see what some of our more experienced members have to say.  Good luck!

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

I doubt that it would be possible to determine what certification number this coin previously had if you don't have and can't retrieve the label. If this coin is rare and distinctive enough, you might be able to match it to its photo in an auction or other sale when it was in the NGC Ancients holder and determine the certification number that way.

The removal of the coin from the holder negated the grading guarantee, such as it is, and there is no guarantee of authenticity for ancients. See Guarantee for Ancient Coin Grading | NGC (ngccoin.com).  You would have to resubmit the coin to get it back in a holder and would receive a new certification number.

Postscript:  FWIW...

I believe one of the two major TPGSs routinely photograph all coins submitted to them and equip each slab with a computer chip.  I wrote asking whether it was possible to photograph half the certified slabs in my Set Registry if I sent them in, and was told yes.  I received a swift assurance that submission was not necessary because photos of all coins are taken and copies (visual I assume) are already available for a fee. I do not know what NGC's policy is as regarding the Topic at hand, but agree re-certification and re-encapsulation is an unavoidable necessity..

Hello and thank you for your quick responses.
In fact, as I am in France (Paris), it is much longer (6 months minimum) and complicated to have it graded by NGC. There is no on-site grading here.
Having the reference of the gradation of this coin is more to know what gradation it received and therefore if it is useful to grade it again.
At PCGS it is possible to find the population of each type of coin with the photos and I thought that this was also possible at NGC. I'm going to think about it.
thanks again