• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G$5 Canada 2011 ddo.
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I know you folks are all about the pics, but I don't have any right now. I sent the coin for grading. The coin is back, but it came back straight grade. I will soon have it and will be able to load pics. I don't understand why the straight grade. It is a very nice ddo. I was actually surprised it got out of the RCM. Is it possible I didn't get mint error because it's not backed up. Looking forward to some feedback. Thanks 

Can’t really comment too much without clear pictures of both sides but for your information
a DDO is not an error, it is a variety.

I believe if there are very very few coins that have been minted then it is a error. It only becomes a variety when there are large quantities. Such as the 1995-P ddo. Or that very famous 1955 ddo. But the 1958 ddo is an error. That's my understanding. 

You understand wrong then, don’t know where you got that information. An error is something    
that happens during the striking of the coin and is usually a one off.   
A Variety is a difference in the basic  design and is on the die so it does not matter if one or a    
million are struck, it is still a variety.

I won't argue with you your right. The doubled die occurs when there two impressions on the die. Hence doubled die. Ddo is an error. Have a nice life thx for that great feedback about my coin submission. I'll be checking out now and I'll be going to that other site where they answer questions. Peace out L-----. 

Sorry, but most numismatists nowadays do in fact classify doubled dies as die varieties, not as mint errors, because the distinctive characteristic is in the die itself, resulting in multiple coins struck by this die retaining this characteristic. See Seeing Double: The Popularity of Doubled-Die Varieties | NGC (ngccoin.com).  (I can't recall anyone else distinguishing between an error and a die variety on the basis of the number of pieces known.) On the other hand, an individual coin that was struck twice in different positions by a normal die would be classified as a mint error. As mints don't intend to create doubled dies, they are "errors" in that sense, but we all have to use the same terminology to understand each other. 

NGC generally only attributes coins as die varieties, including doubled dies, if they are listed on VarietyPlus. There are no varieties listed for Canadian $5 gold of any date. See Canada Categories | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).  Presumably, an exception could be made for a major new discovery, but if you checked "Mint Error" instead of "VarietyPlus" on the submission form, the error attributors, who I understand are different from the variety attributors, may not have even looked for a doubled die.

On 5/21/2024 at 9:18 PM, brasscoins said:

I won't argue with you your right. The doubled die occurs when there two impressions on the die. Hence doubled die. Ddo is an error. Have a nice life thx for that great feedback about my coin submission. I'll be checking out now and I'll be going to that other site where they answer questions. Peace out L-----. 

Brasscoins,  The members hear are only trying to help you with good information, no one is trying to be rude only informative. I hope your coin graded well.