• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double Die Denied
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hi to All

I am back for another beating. Sent NGC what I thought was a 1990 double die obverse and reverse and it has been mailed back graded AU 55. Was told they looked and did not see an error. Photos are attached. Please have a look and tell me what you think. Thanks         

IMG_9339.jpg

IMG_9340.jpg

Is it graded as AU details?   Because I cannot see why NGC would give a coin with this much damage a straight AU grade.   There is no die doubling on this coin, just some extreme strike doubling.

On 5/21/2024 at 5:00 PM, Coinbuf said:

Is it graded as AU details?   Because I cannot see why NGC would give a coin with this much damage a straight AU grade.   There is no die doubling on this coin, just some extreme strike doubling.

It is not a doubled die cent. How much did they charge you for that, Numismatic Lesson 

The following links should help you learn the difference between die doubling and other types of doubling, which generally have no collector value: 

Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com).  (Machine doubling, such as appears on your coin, is also known as strike or mechanical doubling.)

https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html and links at the bottom of the page.

Doubled dies are classified as die varieties, not as mint errors. Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com) If you selected "Mint Error", instead of "VarietyPlus" on the submission form, the coin might not have been attributed as a doubled die even if it were one. Moreover, NGC normally only attributes the significant varieties listed on VarietyPlus, and there are no 1990 doubled die cent varieties listed there. See Lincoln Cents, Memorial Reverse (1959-2008) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). A die variety with distinct die doubling on both sides (unheard of to my knowledge) from 1990 would likely have been discovered by now and would almost certainly be listed on VarietyPlus.

There are many things that you will need to know before it would likely be worthwhile for you to submit coins to grading services, and it will likely take some years before you have acquired the necessary knowledge and experience. Tip: You will very rarely, if ever, find a coin in change that would be worthy of submission.