• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What caused a gouge on this LMC?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I’ve been intrigued by the gouge on the reverse of this coin.   I guess it’s PMD but I can’t find anything that looks the same.   Perhaps I don’t know the correct terms to search.  It could just be my eyes or misinterpretation but it seems like the letters T and E are formed on top of the indentation not flattened or pushed to the side.

I’d appreciate it if someone could help me understand this.

Thanks.

IMG_2466.jpeg

IMG_2467.jpeg

gouge 4.jpeg

I think this LMC was struck on a flawed planchet. I think the planchet had that indent before the strike and before the plating process. It could be this case from error-ref.com. https://www.error-ref.com/lamination-error-loss-before-strke/

Being the area is not deep and also is not too large and also is in an area where if the coin is flipped, there is no part of the design on the opposite side that would show a little weakness after the strike, it is a little harder to tell, but I am leaning towards this theory.

You could always post these photos to the CONECA forum and inquire about it on there, and you could additionally email Jon P. Sullivan at Sullivan Numismatics who specialize in error coins and inquire about his opinion. You can get there from this link which is direct to their website. https://sullivannumismatics.com/contact-us/

Posted (edited)

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your 1987 Lincoln Memeorial cent has what's known as a strike through error. Some type of foreign object was on the planchet prior to striking.  The foreign object was possibly a piece of string, fabric or some other item found in the mint. The object had to be somewhat pliable or soft since some remnant of the original design was struck despite this object. It is a mint error but may not be recognized by NGC other than a basic strike through.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Posted (edited)

There are actually 2 strike throughs on this coin see below...most likely a piece of what ever did the other one. The 2 shapes combined lead me to believe this was an end cut piece of jacketed electrical wire that got in the coin press possibly from maintenance performed in the area.

pfmajfcb.png

Edited by Mike Meenderink