• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1787 New Jersey Colonial Copper
1 1

10 posts in this topic

New to all of this...found this in a corn field while metal detecting.  I realize there is environmental damage from being in the ground potentially 230+ years.  Looking for opinions the potential value as well as getting it conditioned and graded.  I have only touched it with a toothpick.  Thanks in advance for you input!  Jim 

20240325_211957.jpg

20240325_212028.jpg

Posted (edited)

The coin you have posted is indeed a 1787 No Plow Sprig New Jersey Colonial copper coin. The coin has corrosion damage due to being in the soil for many years but not as severe as one might expect from that type of extreme prolonged exposure. This leads me to believe the soil was relatively low in moisture content for most of the areas past history. This may have contributed to better preservation of the coin as compared to wet or moist overall environmental conditions. That being said your coin may benefit from professional conservation. NCS can determine the best course of action for your coin. The coins details from what I can see are in the grade range of VF 35 XF 40 BN. However, the corrosion would guarantee a Details grade. In my opinion your coin in its present condition is worth between $250-$300. If the corrosion (and cut mark or could possibly be a defect in the planchet) was not there the coin would be worth $700 maybe more in that grade since not many of these are even graded.. See the one below in VF 35. Sold for $685.00 Great Collections 2020. Cheers. Nice find!LC-HV-01981__88339.1658181525.jpg?c=2

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

I assume that by "conditioned" you mean "conserved". NCS (NGC's affiliate) uses processes that can remove surface contaminants from coins but cannot remove or reverse corrosion, nor could the deep cuts be repaired. See Coin Conservation | NCS | Numismatic Conservation Services | NGC (ngccoin.com).  

You may want to try soaking this New Jersey copper in acetone or even distilled water to see if this improves its appearance by removing any mud or other residue that hasn't chemically become part of the coin's surface.  The coin could only be "Details" graded even if successfully "conserved" and, in my opinion, wouldn't be worth the substantial cost of conservation, grading and shipping. See NGC Services and Fees | NGC (ngccoin.com).  If you do decide to submit it, it may be somewhat less expensive to do so through an NGC member dealer instead of submitting it yourself. See Find Coin Shops & Dealers | Coin Dealer Locator | NGC (ngccoin.com).

This piece is still rather nice for a "ground find". 

On 5/20/2024 at 7:37 AM, Sandon said:

This piece is still rather nice for a "ground find". 

I know right? This coin should be really badly corroded. Its genuine so I'm thinking it may have been kept safe prior to being lost or dropped much later than the era it was minted. The coin does not look like it's been in the ground for 200 plus years.

On 5/20/2024 at 11:11 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

I know right? This coin should be really badly corroded. Its genuine so I'm thinking it may have been kept safe prior to being lost or dropped much later than the era it was minted. The coin does not look like it's been in the ground for 200 plus years.

It may have been in a coin purse that took a long time to dissolve. 

On 5/20/2024 at 11:11 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

Found it about 6 inches down in a corn field that used to be a sheep farm in the 1850's.  Found some large cents as well, but they were very worn.  

On 5/20/2024 at 2:02 PM, RWB said:

Nice find -- you might say it's "Outstanding in its field."

Imagine it's travels until it was lost.

That is what excites me most about metal detecting.  The story that it holds.