• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metal Compossition Detector
1 1

11 posts in this topic

This is a question for anyone that can possibly help. With the ever increasing problem with fakes and reproductions on the market, I’m looking to get the best, most efficient, & affordable metal detection indicator for coins that a collector could benefit from. If anyone has any ideas, please advise & know that I really appreciate it.

Thanks for all you do!

Travis

Reading metal composition is not always the answer to detecting counterfeits. 
There are many counterfeits out there that are the same composition as a genuine
coin. Plus a lot of of the equipment out there only read the surface so if a coin is silver    
or gold plated, it will still read as silver or gold. You would be better off with a good set
of scales that read to at least two decimal points to compare weights. Even this does
not eliminate all counterfeits but will eliminate some. For me personally I find the best way    
is to do a side by side photo comparison of the coin in question and a genuine one looking
for slight differences in the design. I always start with the date as this seems to be an area
that counterfeiters have the most trouble with.

You might have a hard time finding that sweet spot. I don't know what they cost, and in fact I don't even know much about how they work, but I think mostly dealers have them. This would indicate that ones worth having are major capital investments they expect to recoup in avoidance of buying phonies, assay capacity, and so on. Most collectors have basic scales and many have calipers and microscopes (and yes, they do have value provided they are not used for foolish purposes), but I think very very few have metal analysis equipment.

Thank you all for your help. I have all the basics such as scales, microscopes, even chemical which I prefer not to use do to numismatic reasons. I have seen these XRF handhelds used by LCS owners, but Mike are they completely efficient & effective & what would be your best suggestion on brand/type etc. as you know, because of China & bad Apples & the inability or indifference for the industry or our government to regulate or stop this ever increasing nuisance, I see no other option than to invest in such a device. I would think by now they’d be cheaper because the technology’s been around forever, but I want something full proof and can hold every purchase accountable. Even EBay is eat up with fakes being sold even slabbed fakes amd items you wouldn’t think and sometimes sold by those who don’t realize they have a fake. Why the industry is not helping collectors or attacking this in some manner I don’t understand. Thanks again for your help. 

Travis

Your best defense against counterfeits is understanding what the genuine pieces are supposed to look like. Most of the counterfeits we see here are detectable on sight due to their differences in design details and overall appearance from genuine coins.  Even most of the more deceptive ones can be identified by understanding the characteristics of particular types of counterfeits. See, for example, NGC Counterfeit Detection | Identify Counterfeit Coins | NGC (ngccoin.com).

Although an accurate scale and compositional tests may also be of value in detecting some counterfeits, they are no substitute for knowledge of and experience with the coins that you collect. I also recommend that if you do not have such knowledge, you do not buy uncertified coins--or perhaps any coins of significant value--on sites such as eBay, except from well-known, reputable dealers such as those who are members of the Professional Numismatists Guild (PNG). See https://www.pngdealers.org/af_memberdirectory.asp.

As Sandon mentioned....Knowledge and your brain are the best common defense.

Thanks Mike. I did see those. I guess until they make the technology collector based driven, I’ll just have to use tried & true methods and common sense or use a LCS with the device. I would think demand over time would have brought prices on these down but for that price, lol, I’d look up the specs & try to build it myself. Or at least a version of. Sure there is a market for them I did see used ones for 5k abouts like you said. Thanks again. Market opportunity for someone I’d assume. Travis 

The technology and proper usage of an ERF are way beyond the ability of most owners without professional training on calibration, use and limitations. Accurate results require a depth of knowledge and experience within controlled laboratory conditions that is not found among coin collectors or collector-oriented businesses.

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 6:42 PM, RWB said:

The technology and proper usage of an ERF are way beyond the ability of most owners without professional training on calibration, use and limitations. Accurate results require a depth of knowledge and experience within controlled laboratory conditions that is not found among coin collectors or collector-oriented businesses.

For starters, try watching episodes of “The Curse of Oak Island”. The XRF device they use in their science center should be instructive for you. Here’s the problem. They are less than useful for plated and clad coins. There are no “magic tools” to cover all situations.

Edited by VKurtB