• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1880 S Morgan 64+ PL CAC
1 1

5 posts in this topic

The only price guide available to me that lists this coin in this exact grade is the PCGS Price Guide, which gives a current retail value of $260 for an 1880-S Morgan dollar graded MS 64+ PL. https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/morgan-dollar/744/grades-61-70/ms.  The NGC Price Guide lists an 1880-S Morgan dollar in MS 64 PL at $190 and in MS 65 PL at $275 (value last updated October 2020).  Morgan Dollars (1878-1921) | Price Guide & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com). The current (April-June) CPG Rare Coin Market Review has MS 64 PL at $257 and MS 65 PL at $358. The green CAC sticker indicates that the coin is "solid for the grade" whether NGC or PCGS graded it in the opinion of the CAC graders, so the $260 usually high PCGS value is probably a good estimate. 

If you want to look for actual sale prices for CAC approved coins in this grade, you would likely do better to check the auction archives on the sites of major numismatic auctioneers, such as Great Collections, Heritage (ha.com), and Stacks Bowers. In my opinion, reported sales on eBay may be questionable.

Note that the "value" in the price guides are generally retail. A coin dealer might offer you 70% of that.

In case you are interested, the 1880-S was one of the coins heavily marketed during the Coin Bubble of 1989.  I was just doing some research on that period.

The 1880-S Morgan in MS-65 condition hit a peak of $550 in May 1989.....fell to $75 a few years later.....and today is about $175 (without CAC and PL designations).