• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2000 Wide A M Cent grade help
1 1

13 posts in this topic

With those 5 dings on the Obverse, I think that would bring it down to a MS 65

On 5/12/2024 at 9:22 AM, Mrph12 said:

I need help grading this 2000 Wide AM Cent   My guest is an:) MS67 

NO 2.jpg

NO 1.jpg

It is a good looking cent. Maybe a MS65

The coin is a close AM, not a wide AM. The "A" and "M" nearly touch at the bottom. The letters are farther apart on the wide AM, as shown on this NGC VarietyPlus photo:

819087-1.jpg

As for the grade, the coin appears to have too many nicks and spots to grade MS 67. MS 65, which in my opinion shouldn't be considered a "Gem" grade anymore, is a more reasonable assessment.

Why do you think this is a wide AM cent?   As to grade it might squeak thru as an MS66, but it's not worth sending for grading at that level.

According to the design and placement of the designer's initials, that is a Wide AM. 

Close

1993SRDV007AM.jpg.6ec4d09a418fe5c3119a5a14480fc889.jpg1993SRDV007FG.jpg.66e95bee443863a52a0351f4e3cebec4.jpg

Wide

1989SRDV006AM.jpg.3f5ba0d3ce6f8dcfd7f1f9d006f4feab.jpg

1989SRDV006FG.jpg.f99def4083d8e0546517eb3edc75a3ce.jpg

I agree that it  is a WAM. Have always said that the worst way of teelling is the distance between the A M, there are too many variables.   

Besides the initials, you can also tell by e placing of the A between the TAT in STATES. If it is centered, it is a WAM, if the T is not centered, it is a CAM

CAMvsWAM.jpg

On 5/12/2024 at 10:53 AM, Mrph12 said:

Here is a close-up shot.

Snapshot@2024_0512_115302.jpg

Snapshot@2024_0512_115313.jpg

Absolutely a WIDE. Zero doubt.

I appear to have been mistaken, but I tried enlarging the area of the "A" and "M" on the original photo and could see no separation at the bottom of the letters before the image became too pixilated.  I have no difficulty telling the difference in the "AM" on the actual coins under normal magnification. I can barely see that the "G" in "FG" has a crossbar and slightly more pronounced serif. This post demonstrates the limitations of photos as opposed to viewing actual coins.

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 4:37 PM, Sandon said:

I appear to have been mistaken, but I tried enlarging the area of the "A" and "M" on the original photo and could see no separation at the bottom of the letters before the image became too pixilated.  I have no difficulty telling the difference in the "AM" on the actual coins under normal magnification. I can barely see that the "G" in "FG" has a crossbar and slightly more pronounced serif. This post demonstrates the limitations of photos as opposed to viewing actual coins.

Agreed. Yet here we are. When will the masochism abate? We have an entire discussion board dependent on photos which are too easy to do poorly, and too difficult to do well. Oh well, I guess I’ll just stick to doing this hobby offline and in person. ;)
“Me… and my Explorer ST… rolling down the av-e-nue… (or the Interstate).”

Edited by VKurtB