• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the grade ? 1969d
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

AU-59.  FIRM.

MS-60?  Sorry, my friend!  I interpret the "shaded" fields as representing the dreaded numismatic, by whatever fanciful term used, as wear.  There may be members who may suggest magic potions that will dissolve it, but the evidence of "original mint luster" which was captured by the slightly raised rim only serves to emphasize what the coin once looked like moments after being struck, and a liquid bath will eradicate it.

Note:  if any of the distinguished seasoned members on this Forum drawing on their many fine years of experience contradict my conjecture with firm confident assertions -- beginning with the mythical grade I assigned your piece -- I would strongly urge you to acquiesce to them.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Add one word.

On 5/12/2024 at 5:30 AM, Henri Charriere said:

AU-59.  FIRM.

MS-60?  Sorry, my friend!  I interpret the "shaded" fields as representing the dreaded numismatic term, by whatever fanciful name used, as "wear. There may be members who may suggest magic potions that will dissolve it, but the evidence of "original mint luster" which was captured by the slightly raised rim only serves to emphasize what the coin once looked like moments after being struck, and a liquid bath will eradicate it.

Note:  if any of the distinguished seasoned members on this Forum drawing on their many fine years of experience contradict my conjecture with firm confident assertions -- beginning with the mythical grade I assigned your piece -- I would strongly urge you to acquiesce to them.

Welcome, I would not grade this coin, too many contact marks and rub. If I had to say maybe a 45. It is a nice folder or book coin 

I can’t see what I would need to even attempt a grade. The color is the problem. It looks like it has been plated and then partially worn off. Either way, it’s an EXTREMELY low value coin not worthy of a second look. 

Lightly circulated and discolored. EF - but only if the viewer could look past the color mess. No collector value.

If you're just using this low value coin to learn how to grade Lincoln cents, yours is a legitimate question.  I would grade the coin Choice About Uncirculated (55-58) by current standards in terms of details. It has "rub" and slight loss of details on the highest points of Lincoln's cheek, jaw, and hair and the base of the Lincoln Memorial. Much of the mint luster ("red" or brown) is present.  Based on the photos, it doesn't appear to me to have been plated or otherwise altered or impaired, but it does have a number of small marks and abrasions that are consistent with a coin that has probably frequently in contact with other coins and hard objects.  If you're trying to collect Lincoln cents by date and mint, I would try to obtain a better example.