• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Circulated VS Genuine
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I found these coins and I was wondering if circulated means it could have some issues as where genuine means it's really real but has issues. Is that True ? Thanks in advance 

s-l960 (19).webp

s-l960 (18).webp

Posted (edited)

Both of these were submitted by bulk submitters, bulk submitters have some extra options that are not available to regular public.   In both of these cases the submitter did not want a numerical grade only submitted for authenticity verification.   While I'm only speculating, it's possible that the submitter didn't want a numerical grade as they thought it might be easier to sell at their grade, which might be a higher grade then what NGC would have assigned.   Another scenario is that these many have been slabbed by one the TV coin sellers, basically for the same reason.

As to the terminology I don't believe there is any special relevance or hidden meaning, the words Genuine and Circulated were likely requested/specified by the submitter.   NGC does allow for special labels and many bulk submitters use that option.   Coins like this are where you really have to be able to grade coins yourself and identify cleaned coins.

Edited by Coinbuf

Posted (edited)

"Genuine" means exactly that; the coin is authentic. If it's in a slab marked "genuine" then it means the company feels there is a problem such as excess damage, cleaning, or other post manufacture defect. Also note the bulk submission comment from Coinbuf.

"Circulated" means the coin is genuine and has been in use; it has visible wear.

The authentication and grading companies for not put counterfeit (or false) coins in holders.

Edited by RWB