• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with error on 2010 P Lincoln dollar coin
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Good evening everyone!
I found this 2010 P Lincoln dollar coin in a roll. It's missing the front and back section of the neck on the statue of liberty. It also is missing lines throughout the robe. It's very noticable on the sleve of the robe. The lower left spike on the crown has a small section missing.
Just wandering if anyone has seen one similar.
Thanks

Lincoln Reverse 1.webp

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please note that the Coin Marketplace forum is devoted to offers to sell or buy coins in accordance with the Guidelines posted at the top of the forum, not for questions about coins.  Such topics are welcome on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum or the "U.S., World and Ancient Coins" forum, where they should receive better attention. I have requested the Moderator to move this topic.  It would also be helpful for you to post better-cropped photos of both sides of the coin.

The missing details on this coin likely resulted from the reverse die from which it was struck being overpolished or filled with foreign matter. These sorts of anomalies can be interesting but usually don't make the coin worth much of a premium.  

I strongly recommend that you don't touch a coin that you want to preserve with your bare hands, except by its edge if you must. Presidential dollars, which are largely composed of copper, zinc and manganese, are particularly susceptible to discoloration and spotting from exposure to skin oils.

I would agree with @Sandon that the coin looks to have been struck with a die which had been heavily polished to remove clash marks.   You can see similar effects on many coins, it is very common on Mercury dimes for the bridge of Liberty's nose to be missing as a result of die polishing.