• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELIZABETH II, former Queen of the U.K, b. 1926 d. 2022, age 96.
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Q.A.:  I understand you've been doing some research on Queen Elizabeth II, a number of coins for whom have been minted in her honor over the years. Have you come across any little-known facts collectors of those coins would find to be of interest?

🐓  :  Yes:  She was the only person in Britain who could drive without a license, or license plate, and she never had to take a driving test.

Q.A.:  How did you manage to find these facts?

🐓  :  The automobile she  owned and drove, a 2001 Daimler Majestic, came up for auction last month at Bonhams.  They estimated it would fetch up to $75,000.  I am unaware of the gavel price but 50 bids were placed, the highest being $59,000. (It had logged 16,200 miles.)

Q.A.:  Thank you for broadening the body of knowledge of the collector community who holds you in high regard.  In the event @Sandon comes across this, and for the record, would you mind citing your sources?

🐓  :  Not at all,  "Bids on a sports car fit for the Queen,"  New York Post, Sun., April 28, 2024, p. 7.

Q.A.:  Thank you. I am much obliged.

(Posted at the discretion of zmoderation.)

Edited by Henri Charriere
Post-editing die polishing.

@zadok :  Why the sadness?  She was Royalty: "Top of the list, Queen of the hill, 'A' number one!"  (She was also billed as the world's wealthiest welfare recipient.)  Membership has its privileges. 

Elizabeth II’s reign has rescued the British crown from almost certain demise, perhaps forever, but certainly for the lifetime of her great-grandson, George. Yes, we may have to pretend that the current reign is some kind of weird extended interregnum worthy of an asterisk, and little else, but that’s a price I’m willing to pay. Long live Chucky da Turd. 

I miss the Queen.  She was a model of grace and composure.

On 5/8/2024 at 5:47 PM, VKurtB said:

Elizabeth II’s reign has rescued the British crown from almost certain demise, perhaps forever, but certainly for the lifetime of her great-grandson, George. Yes, we may have to pretend that the current reign is some kind of weird extended interregnum worthy of an asterisk, and little else, but that’s a price I’m willing to pay. Long live Chucky da Turd. 

...at least hes not orange....

On 5/9/2024 at 7:00 AM, zadok said:

...at least hes not orange....

He needs some orange. I’ll take all the orange I can get at this point. 

Posted (edited)

Was she the one on the Runway at Kensington Palace Fashion Show --- the one with two legless Welsh Corgi's named "Composure" and "Grace" on short leads?

Edited by RWB