• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value worth?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I inherited around 700 grams of silver dollars, quarters and dimes and I need to know the value on these. I would greatly appreciate any help. :) I can’t submit all the photos but I have Canadian silver dollars ranging from 1946-1962 (no 1951) a us morgan dollar from 1901, a liberty dollar from 1922 some weird half dollar from 1906, a couple of buffalo Indian dimes, a dime with some sort of Greek god on the back, 6 bobcat quarters, 3 tiki Canadian dollars, 3 sailing boat dollars and some other stuff. If anyone knows the value or is interested in the photos please let me know.

Welcome to the Chat Board

Without seeing photos of their condition, the minimum would be in the spot price of the silver. 

Welcome to the forum, Greenstang is correct, value starts at the silver spot and goes up from there.   But without any idea of the condition of the coins you inherited there is no way to give you a more precise value.   I suggest you look for a coin dealer in your area and contact them for an evaluation, on the main NGC website there is a list of authorized NGC dealers.   Review that list and see if anyone is close to you, if not try and post a few of the best looking coins you have inherited and we will attempt to give you some guidance on values.

But whatever path you choose temper your expectations, it is easy for us to think that because a relative saved coins that those coins must be valuable, often that is far from the truth.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Understandably that is too many coins to take photos of. I don't see any potential key dates in your general description of the collection either.

Unless you are willing to do your own extensive research and spend a lot of time trying to learn about the different coins and their separate nuances, I would also take them either to a local dealer for an assessment, or to someone you know that knows coins well to check for any with potential elevated values. Also, typically it depends on the condition of the coins and if they are in superb condition or modestly or well worn. The 1901 Morgan dollar can be worth premium if it is in uncirculated condition, but well worn specimens of that coin value between $40-$100.

I agree with @Coinbuf that many collections are assembled usually because the coins are "old", but many of those specimens are not necessarily based upon rarity, superb condition and premium value.