• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 IKE dollar questions.

3 posts in this topic

1972 IKE dollar, no mint mark. Variety 3.
They should be Copper-Nickel Clad.
What would cause the copper layer to not show on the edge of the coin?
Have any of these been found in silver clad?

The expanded section on dollar coins in the seventh edition of the deluxe ("Mega") Red Book notes Eisenhower dollars erroneously struck on silver clad planchets for the 1972-D (apparently very rare), 1974-D (25-30 known), 1976-D type 2 reverse (possibly unique), and 1977-D (about 20 known). No such error planchet variety is listed for the 1972 (any reverse) or any other Philadelphia issue, nor do I recall hearing of any having been authenticated.

The official weight for a copper nickel clad Eisenhower dollar is 22.68 grams, while that for a silver clad piece is 24.59 grams. Tolerances established by the mint were plus or minus 0.907 gram for the copper nickel clad, 0.984 for the silver clad, so a copper nickel clad piece should weigh no more than 23.587 grams, while a silver clad piece should weigh no less than 23.606 grams. Do you have a weight for the coin in question?

Obviously, other explanations for a 1972 Eisenhower dollar not showing the copper layer on its edge would be that the coin has been plated or coated with some foreign substance outside of the mint or that it is counterfeit. I have occasionally seen copper nickel clad coins that showed very little if any copper color on the edge, probably due to issues with the clad strip from which the planchets were punched. (Even a silver clad piece should show a somewhat reddish or darker inner (80% copper) layer.) Can you provide images of the coin and its edge?

Thanks for the information. If none of these have been found in silver clad, I feel sure I don't have one. 

I let the batteries in my scale go old and leak but I'll come up with an exact weight. That should nail it down.