• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1804 class 2 unofficial re-strike coin
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi All

Found a 1804 coin class 2  unofficial re-strike coin from an estate sale.

They said it was from the Midnight minters in the 1800's. I looked online and did not see any coins similar to this.

If you read the 1804 story they made unofficial re-strike coins with different weights and diameters.

Can anyone tell me if it's real or fake. The coin does not stick to a magnetic and passes the ping test.

1804_thickness.jpg

1804diameter.jpg

1804_weight.jpg

1804front.jpg

1804_back.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

This is an extremely crude or ludicrous fake that looks nothing like any class of 1804 dated novodel dollar. For one thing, the genuine pieces have crushed lettered edges, not modern looking reeded edges. The only known "Class II" piece was struck over an 1857 Swiss shooting thaler and is in the Smithsonian Institution. See https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1804-1-restrike-class-ii/414488.

On 5/4/2024 at 12:57 PM, Islandboy808 said:

They said it was from the Midnight minters in the 1800's. I looked online and did not see any coins similar to this.

If you read the 1804 story they made unofficial re-strike coins with different weights and diameters.

The thing is a modern counterfeit and of no value.

Whoever "they" is, is a numismatic fool and liar.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, it took me about a split second to denote that your coin is a very poor counterfeit based upon the coloring and surface of the coin as well as the shape of the lettering and numerals. There is no need to further expound on other issues on the coin.

Also to note, while you have a decent set of calipers, your scale is lacking when it comes to weighing coins. You need a scale that reads to the hundredth decimal place (0.01) in grams for coin weighing. Scales that only read to the tenth decimal place (0.1) will either round weight up or down depending on the actual weight of the sample placed on the weighing tray. This can cause the actual weight to be in some cases 0.09 grams off from the real weight which could be critical in certain weighing situations when it comes to coins.

Additionally, whatever the "ping" test is I can assure you is a terrible practice and something you should NOT do! I can only imagine it involves either striking the coin with another coin or object, or throwing it off of a table to hear the sound it makes. You would not want to do this to any coin you suspect that could be extremely rare and highly valuable as you will surely damage the coin in the process and significantly impact its value.

Members here are not only helpful, but intensely curious about how these situations get resolved --- I.e., what authentic coins are in the group? What's their condition? Anything really rare or unusual (US of foreign)....etc. Members are, after all, collectors interested in the coins people inherit or find.

:)