• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Penny
2 2

17 posts in this topic

The next time you’re in the northeastern states, check your cents in change. Almost none of them have mint marks. 

As a practical matter, a circulated 1974 cent is only worth face value, as federal regulations prohibit the melting of copper alloy cents.

It is extremely unusual to find a coin of any real value in circulation, but if you want to learn more about U.S. coins (such as their mintages and which ones may have collector value) and how to collect them, you should obtain a current (2025) or recent edition of A Guide Book of United States Coins, also known as the "Red Book". The current edition is available from its publisher at whitman.com. Many additional resources for new collectors are described in the following topic pinned to the top of this forum:

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The fact that your cent has no mintmark means it is a 1974 (P) Lincoln Memorial cent. We use the (P) to refer to coinage that is sans mintmark as that means it was produced at the Philadelphia Mint. As stated this coin was minted in the billions and is worth its copper value in the condition it is currently in.

Posted (edited)

On 5/4/2024 at 5:24 PM, Josh0427 said:

Is a 1974 penny with no mint mark worth anything?

20240504_065412.jpg

I also have one, want to know more about that. I found a solution to my work problem I was talking about. A friend of mine introduced me to a website https://academized.com/write-my-book-report where we can hire a professional writer to write for us. They provide book report, assignments, essays and other. If you also need a writer, you can also visit their website.

I also have one, want to know more about that.

Edit: Got my answer. Thank you.

Edited by JerimiahCardenas

On 5/14/2024 at 2:35 AM, JerimiahCardenas said:

I also have one, want to know more about that.

One cent coins without a mintmark were produced by the Philadelphia Mint (or occasionally the West Point Mint when it was an adjunct unit of Philadelphia). They are of no collector value.

On 8/15/2024 at 9:48 PM, Anthonny M Nuttall SR said:

If the one cent no mint mark pennies don't have any value than how come the 1974 Lincoln penny went for over a million dollars at auction just this past year

I googled this and what do you know???? The first six results were links to Youbee Tubee coin videos!!!!

Only one result took me to Coin World in which there was one such 1974 cent that was struck on an experimental alloy by the Mint and was to be destroyed when the experiment was completed but it got out apparently by hook and possibly seen as by crook as the pieces to be melted were under heavy guard by Mint employees at the furnace.

To answer your question, your 1974 (P) no mintmark Lincoln Memorial Cent from spare change in your pocket of which 4,232,140,523 were made which is not in pristine gem BU condition is not worth a cup of cold pee.

Edited by powermad5000

@Anthonny M Nuttall SR--Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Where did you read of any actual auction sale of any 1974 cent for a million dollars?

Please read the following recent article by a well-known coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).

For future reference, please post your own questions as new topics, not as a reply to someone else's topic from months ago.

On 8/15/2024 at 11:23 PM, Sandon said:

Where did you read of any actual auction sale of any 1974 cent for a million dollars?

It is possible he read this somewhere else, but here is the link to an original article of which I highly condensed my response from.

It won't let me copy and paste the link probably because the website won't allow it, but you can go to the Coin World website and in the search box look for 1974 Lincoln Cent, or Bill Gibbs who wrote the article, or unexpected phone call which is in the title of the article.

There may be other articles on this subject. I am unaware of any recent auction data on this subject, however.

Also, there an article about a different 1974 LMC found on the PCGS website. I don't know why links are not being allowed to be loaded onto my reply but if you go to PCGS Coinfacts, you can look up a 1974 D Aluminum LMC.

Sorry these links aren't working in my reply.  (shrug)

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1974-d-1c-aluminum/522941

The Youbee Tubee videos make it look like you can find one of these in your spare change which is NOT the case.

On 8/16/2024 at 2:19 AM, powermad5000 said:

The Youbee Tubee videos make it look like you can find one of these in your spare change which is NOT the case.

Another failure of social media.... unfortunately these days most find it much easier to watch a video than actually READ and do your own research.

On 8/16/2024 at 7:18 AM, EGH49 said:

Another failure of social media.... unfortunately these days most find it much easier to watch a video than actually READ and do your own research.

And THAT is what INSTANTLY reveals them to be the m-o-r-o-n-s that virtually all of them are. And yes, I DID MEAN TO SAY that if you use social media extensively, then you are a M-O-R-O-N.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/18/2024 at 10:15 AM, VKurtB said:

And THAT is what INSTANTLY reveals them to be the m-o-r-o-n-s that virtually all of them are. And yes, I DID MEAN TO SAY that if you use social media extensively, then you are a M-O-R-O-N.

You do realize that a message board is a social medium.

On 8/20/2024 at 9:31 AM, JKK said:

You do realize that a message board is a social medium.

Not in the same way, no.

On 8/20/2024 at 11:21 AM, VKurtB said:

Not in the same way, no.

Not at all in the same way. There are some highly intelligent people here and knowledge gets shared. This is not talking about someone's cooking, Honey Boo Boo, or watching someone's video about gettin sum bank n dealin yo smack azz wit da gat.